Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes WIS Manual Software - Where is the best place to get this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2024, 01:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 S65
Mercedes WIS Manual Software - Where is the best place to get this?

I've done a little searching and I can't seem to find the best place to get WIS software. Of course if money weren't an option I could pay a monthly subscription to startekinfo.com but I'm really just looking to have .pdfs available for my models only (2007 W221 S65 & 2016 GLE400) for fixing the vehicle without breaking the bank. It sounds like a lot of these software downloads are from China and pretty sketchy.

Can anyone please point me to a safe and reasonable location to get the workshop manuals for my vehicle for a reasonable price?

Last edited by MBKarma; 08-20-2024 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2024, 01:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
S550
this is the one I snagged a few weeks ago, works well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/326002023090
The following users liked this post:
MBKarma (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,257 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
If you want genuine copies that aren't hacked or require running on a virtual machine, contact @BenzNinja . He, by far, offers the best service and suite of software -- XENTRY, WIS, EPC, Vediamo, and DTS Monaco. Plus, if you ever lose access to the software because of a corrupted or expired license key, he will log on and restore it.

Last edited by JettaRed; 08-20-2024 at 10:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JettaRed:
BenzNinja (08-20-2024), MBKarma (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 06:39 PM

S550
Originally Posted by JettaRed
If you want genuine copies that aren't hacked or requires running on a virtual machine, contact @BenzNinja . He, by far, offers the best service and suite of software -- XENTRY, WIS, EPC, Vediamo, and DTS Monaco. Plus, if you ever lose access to the software because of a corrupted or expired license key, he will log on and restore it.
I would like to go that route someday.

Do not mean to cause a stir, just curious, how is that SW not hacked?
Old 08-20-2024, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by phil34
I would like to go that route someday.

Do not mean to cause a stir, just curious, how is that SW not hacked?
@BenzNinja software installs directly in Windows and doesn't require any kludgy workarounds. Most of the stuff you get on eBay for WIS/ASRA/EPC usually requires running on a virtual machine. BenzNinja delivers the software on an SSD and then he configures the software to match your hardware. The license keys will only work on your specific hardware and must be generated new any time there is a network controller hardware change.
The following 2 users liked this post by JettaRed:
BenzNinja (Yesterday), phil34 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

S550
@BenzNinja software installs directly in Windows and doesn't require any kludgy workarounds. Most of the stuff you get on eBay for WIS/ASRA/EPC usually requires running on a virtual machine. BenzNinja delivers the software on an SSD and then he configures the software to match your hardware. The license keys will only work on your specific hardware and must be generated new any time there is a network controller hardware change.
Thanks for the info. Sounds good. I need to start putting "extra" money aside each month to snag that setup.

Wondering, could it run on a desktop PC with the SSD as an external selected boot drive?
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the info. Sounds good. I need to start putting "extra" money aside each month to snag that setup.

Wondering, could it run on a desktop PC with the SSD as an external selected boot drive?
It's best to get a cheap refurbished laptop, such as the Lenovo ThinkPad X260 (https://a.co/d/hDcH63U) since the license key is tied to the NIC ESN (every Network Interface Controller has a unique Electronic Serial Number) of the computer you are using. Therefore, I doubt using an external drive will work. Never tried it.

Last edited by JettaRed; Yesterday at 08:55 AM.

Trending Topics

Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 998 Likes on 763 Posts
G550
I use a version of the virtual machine WIS. It's a bit awkward, especially printing a hard copy, but to the extent I use it, it works for me. I don't need the coding capabilities BenzNinja offers, so the investment in PC hardware and his membership fee doesn't payback for me.
MBKarma (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

S550
It's best to get a cheap refurbished laptop, such as the Lenovo ThinkPad X260 (https://a.co/d/hDcH63U) since the license key is tied to the NIC ESN (every Network Interface Controller has a unique Electronic Serial Number) of the computer you are using. Therefore, I doubt using an external drive will work. Never tried it.
Copy That, thanks.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

S550
Originally Posted by streborx
I use a version of the virtual machine WIS. It's a bit awkward, especially printing a hard copy, but to the extent I use it, it works for me. I don't need the coding capabilities BenzNinja offers, so the investment in PC hardware and his membership fee doesn't payback for me.
That is what I currently have. What method do you use to print hard copy from the virtual machine?
Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

S550
That is what I currently have. What method do you use to print hard copy from the virtual machine?
I now have a headache but figured out how to directly print in the virtual machine to any printer on the host machine. This video was a big help:

JettaRed (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I haven't watched the video above, but here's how I print from WIS:
1. After the document you want to print is viewable in the WIS app, click on the print icon in the upper r/h corner. This will allow you to print the document to a VirtualBox directory in Microsoft XPS Writer format. (Give the document file a name.)
2. Then click on the file folder in the lower l/h corner and navigate to the directory where you stored the document file.
3. Minimize the sizes for the WIS and VirtualBox windows so that the PC's Windows Desktop is visible.
4. Drag the file from the VirtualBox directory onto the PC's Windows Desktop, where a file icon will then appear.
5. Double click on this file icon, and Windows should open this *.xps file, and you should be able to print it.
6. Create a directory in you Windows File Explorer to store the WIS documents (drag it from the Desktop to the Windows directory).
That's it.

Last edited by streborx; Today at 12:13 PM.
phil34 (Today)
Old Today, 12:22 PM

S550
I haven't watched the video above, but here's how I print from WIS:
1. After the document you want to print is viewable in the WIS app, click on the print icon in the upper r/h corner. This will allow you to print the document to a VirtualBox directory in Microsoft XPS Writer format. (Give the document file a name.)
2. Then click on the file folder in the lower l/h corner and navigate to the directory where you stored the document file.
3. Minimize the sizes for the WIS and VirtualBox windows so that the PC's Windows Desktop is visible.
4. Drag the file from the VirtualBox directory onto the PC's Windows Desktop, where a file icon will then appear.
5. Double click on this file icon, and Windows should open this *.xps file, and you should be able to print it.
6. Create a directory in you Windows File Explorer to store the WIS documents (drag it from the Desktop to the Windows directory).
That's it.
Thanks for taking the time to detail that process. If you do much printing you may want to look into enabling the host's printer directly in the virtual machine. Then just click on the printer icon in the virtual machine, select which host printer to use and it is a done deal.

Old Today, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Thanks for taking the time to detail that process. If you do much printing you may want to look into enabling the host's printer directly in the virtual machine. Then just click on the printer icon in the virtual machine, select which host printer to use and it is a done deal.
I tried this, but wasn't able to print. My printers are all wifi networked, and I think I needed to get the virtual machine wifi connected, which seemed like it was becoming too complicated. For the couple times I need a hard copy, I've just been dragging files around.
Old Today, 12:32 PM

S550
I tried this, but wasn't able to print. My printers are all wifi networked, and I think I needed to get the virtual machine wifi connected, which seemed like it was becoming too complicated. For the couple times I need a hard copy, I've just been dragging files around.
Yes, if not used much your method will likely save you the headache I got by jumping though hoops to get it to work. The final step for me was enabling the virtual printer in the virtual machine's setup with the virtual machine OFF. I did not monkey with any wifi stuff in the virtual machine and my printers are wifi.