How to sell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 786 Likes on 506 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
How to sell

Has anyone actually been able to sell their EQS without trading it in for $30k below market?

I saw a nice EQE SUV AMG in Florida and thought I might be interested in switching.

So I went on Cargurus to look at value, and it was telling me that my low mileage EQS580 in amazing condition which is 26 months old is now worth $48k on an MSRP of over $140k.
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

Received 266 Likes on 159 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Has anyone actually been able to sell their EQS without trading it in for $30k below market?

I saw a nice EQE SUV AMG in Florida and thought I might be interested in switching.

So I went on Cargurus to look at value, and it was telling me that my low mileage EQS580 in amazing condition which is 26 months old is now worth $48k on an MSRP of over $140k.
I entered the details for my 22 month old 2023 EQS 450 4Matic SUV with 42K miles into the trade-in value calculator on the mbusa.com website and it also came back with an estimate of $48K. The MSRP on my car was $121K. The second owners of 2-year old EQS sedans and SUVs are going to get 3-year unlimited mileage CPO warranties. I wish I could trade my own car in and buy it back with the CPO warranty.
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
You could trade it in for another used EV. I've been looking at a low miles Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Tourismo for the last six months and the asking price has dropped from $120K to 100, or about the same amount of value my EQE 500 SUV has lost in that time.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

Received 266 Likes on 159 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by Crito
You could trade it in for another used EV. I've been looking at a low miles Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Tourismo for the last six months and the asking price has dropped from $120K to 100, or about the same amount of value my EQE 500 SUV has lost in that time.
I miss the way my 2022 Taycan 4 CT handled. But I don't miss it's flakey L2 and L3 charging behavior. The J1772 connector got "locked" onto the port 3 times in my garage. It took 3 hours to figure out how to release it the third time. Many of our L3 charging sessions lasted over 45 minutes since they required calls to EA to initiate the charging session. If you get a CPO Taycan make sure it has the option for DC charging at 150kW at 400v chargers. Otherwise, you will be limited to a 50kW rate at Tesla Superchargers.
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
I decided to wait for the Macan EV which'll be a closer match size and utility-wise. Kyle Conner said something on one of his YouBoob channels about a delay due to them wanting to ship with fresh software though. So I get to watch the trade-in value of my EQE SUV drop even further while I wait. :cry: Wish I had taken Tesla's $70K offer a few months ago but oh well.
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV

I got my 2023 EQS 580 SUV with 11K miles for exactly half the msrp so that car guru quote might be pretty accurate, sorry
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 998 Likes on 763 Posts
G550
Certainly reinforces advisories to lease instead of buying.
The following 3 users liked this post by streborx:
carlosinseattle (Today), emailforbrett (Today), HBerman (Yesterday)

Trending Topics

Old Today, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG EQS
Originally Posted by streborx
Certainly reinforces advisories to lease instead of buying.
I leased my 2023 AMG EQS back in January of this year. $170k MSRP. $1,400 per month, 0 down, 30k miles for 3 years. I learned my lesson against purchasing a BEV when I sold my Plaid. That car lost $70,000 in two years!
The following users liked this post:
HBerman (Today)
Old Today, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 590 Likes on 402 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by emailforbrett
I leased my 2023 AMG EQS back in January of this year. $170k MSRP. $1,400 per month, 0 down, 30k miles for 3 years. I learned my lesson against purchasing a BEV when I sold my Plaid. That car lost $70,000 in two years!
Unless you are a car collector, it makes much more sense nowadays to lease rather than buy (cash or finance). I'm leasing a 2024 AMG EQEX4 for 30000 miles / 3 years. I haven't "owned" a car for the past 35 years. No worries about values at the 3-year turnover. Occasionally, the vehicle's value is greater than the calculated residual $$, and I receive cash back for the transaction. NC only has a highway use tax at 3% and it is only applied to the periodic lease payment rather than to the capitalized value of the car being leased. YMMV
Old Today, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by emailforbrett
It'll be interesting if MB makes an end of lease buyout offer that's substantially less than the leasing contact states. Keep us posted!
Old Today, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG EQS
It'll be interesting if MB makes an end of lease buyout offer that's substantially less than the leasing contact states. Keep us posted!

I would definitely buy it if the price was low enough to take on the risk of out-of-warranty issues. I absolutely love everything about this car and will be sad to see it go.
Old Today, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
I got my 2023 EQS 580 SUV with 11K miles for exactly half the msrp so that car guru quote might be pretty accurate, sorry
Yeah but half MSRP would be $75k which I think is the market value. Trading at $48k would mean the dealer makes a profit of $27k. $27k is too high a spread. The car needs no new tires and no paint repair because it is PPFd. Very clean car.
Old Today, 12:01 PM

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts
SL63
From what I can see, the new EV market is cratering, and lowering the value of used EVs to chump change.
Old Today, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by MB2timer
From what I can see, the new EV market is cratering, and lowering the value of used EVs to chump change.
Ford just announced plans to cancel development of a planned full size SUV EV, and is taking a $1.9 Billion write-off to cover the $44K its reportedly has shipped with every EV sold to date.

Seems as if Akio Toyoda's caution on EVs has been vindicated.
Old Today, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by MB2timer
Depends on your definition of cratering. Growth has slowed but EV sales are at a record high in the US.

https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-in...2024-ev-sales/

Last edited by stealth.pilot; Today at 04:21 PM.
Old Today, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Ford just announced plans to cancel development of a planned full size SUV EV, and is taking a $1.9 Billion write-off to cover the $44K its reportedly has shipped with every EV sold to date.

Seems as if Akio Toyoda's caution on EVs has been vindicated.
Old Today, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,604 Posts
2019 C63CS
Depends on your definition of cratering. Growth has slowed but EV sales are at a record high in the US.

https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-in...2024-ev-sales/
And as said in the article partly fueled by higher discounts and lease deals putting further pressure on used EVs. Nobody is really gonna pay you even 50% of MSRP if they can get a 20% discount and sweet lease deal on a new one, and not losing their shirt trying to sell if after three years. I just read Mercedes made significant price cuts in Europe of their entire model lineup. This and more is why you see 30 cents on the dollar trade-in offers after only a couple of years. I heard some dealerships don't even take EVs as trade-in anymore, because they can't get rid of them. Wondering how much longer the leasing companies can keep this up until they realize they have a Hertz problem.

Last edited by superswiss; Today at 04:36 PM.
Old Today, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by superswiss
And as said in the article partly fueled by higher discounts and lease deals putting further pressure on used EVs. Nobody is really gonna pay you even 50% of MSRP if they can get a 20% discount and sweet lease deal on a new one, and not losing their shirt trying to sell if after three years. I just read Mercedes made significant price cuts in Europe of their entire model lineup. This and more is why you see 30 cents on the dollar trade-in offers after only a couple of years. I heard some dealerships don't even take EVs as trade-in anymore, because they can't get rid of them. Wondering how much longer the leasing companies can keep this up until they realize they have a Hertz problem.
yes we all know the dynamics are not great on resale.

But my point is you can’t buy a non branded title accident free EQS580 for anywhere near $48k.

I know this because I am also buying a used EQE AMG product so I have a sense of where they are selling.

maybe the issue is demand uncertainty is causing dealers to want higher margin spreads on these cars. They want $30k profit vs $10k profit on an ICE model.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; Today at 05:05 PM.
Old Today, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
yes we all know the dynamics are not great on resale.

But my point is you can’t buy a non branded title accident free EQS580 for anywhere near $48k.

I know this because I am also buying a used EQE AMG product so I have a sense of where they are selling.

maybe the issue is demand uncertainty is causing dealers to want higher margin spreads on these cars. They want $30k profit vs $10k profit on an ICE model.
Yes, EVs sitting on lots much longer than ICE probably has something to do with it. Also at what price they are advertised vs what they are ultimately selling for is also a different story. You might have a lot more room downwards on that EQE AMG than you are aware of.
Old Today, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Let’s keep this helpful. The comments I am looking for is what is best way to sell.

i know it is better to lease if you are buying new.

The secondary market is debatable. It is all about at what price you buy. At $45k a mint condition EQS580 with 13,000 miles and 2 years of remaining factory warranty would be a total bargain. I would buy more at that price! Of course only a dealer can buy at that price. Maybe I should apply for a dealer license.
Old Today, 06:00 PM

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
2014 S550, 2007 S600
If there is no lien on the car then take some good photos and list it privately. Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com. List it high and negotiate down. That would ideally get you the most money.
Old Today, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Right, selling it privately is ultimately the way to get more for it, provided you'll find a buyer in a reasonable time, and you'll lose out on the sales tax credit if that's a thing in your state. When I sold my previous car I had it appraised by the dealership where I originally bought it. That was an Audi RS5, though, which was originally limited production and they were eager for me to sell it back to them. The used car manager was also nice enough to give me an idea of what I could get for it in the private market and he recommended to list it on Autotrader since I wasn't in a hurry to sell. Ultimately found a local buyer within a month who pretty much paid my asking price, and I didn't have to deal with an out of state sale. We did the complete transaction at a local bank branch and went to AAA to do the transfer to avoid the DMV headache. Since in California every ICE has to be smog tested when sold, I could also do that not far from my house the same morning.

Last edited by superswiss; Today at 06:15 PM.