Comparison of Mercedes Burmester Audio Systems and where the EQS Fits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 512 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Comparison of Mercedes Burmester Audio Systems and where the EQS Fits

I found this interesting link where Burmester explains all the audio systems they offer to Mercedes. There are 4 tiers:

https://www.burmester.de/en/automoti...z-soundsystem/
  1. Burmester High-End 4D system (31 speakers, 1750 Watts) - Option on S-Class and S-Class Maybach
  2. Burmester High-End 3D system (17-26 speakers, 1220-1570 Watts) - Option GLS, AMG GT, AMG SL, GLE, E-class and CLS)
  3. Burmester 3D (15 speakers, 710 Watts) - Standard on EQS, EQE and S-Class, Optional on C-Class
  4. Burmester Surround (11-14 speakers, 550-650 watts) - Optional or Standard on various Mercedes model
So the only option we receive on the EQS is the third tier. Now I have to say this is what I did believe to be the case, because having had a "Burmester High-End 3D system" in my previous car - the 2018 Porsche Panamera Turbo S - I did find the Burmester to in the EQS to be well short of that. However the version in the EQS is a little better than the Burmester Surround system which I used to have in my 911 Turbo S, and in my wife's GLE.

Having heard all of these systems, here is my rating - which may be useful if you are buying another Mercedes:
  1. Burmester High-End 4D - 10/10 - Simply the best audio I have heard in a car ever. Off the charts. If you like audio - this is heaven,
  2. Burmester High-End 3D - 9/10 - The difference between the High-End 3D and 4D is subtle. Both are very high end audiophile systems and will offer a wow experience to anyone.
  3. Burmester 3D - 7/10 - This system is very good, but I would say it is not audiophile grade. It has excellent clarity and volume, it is well balanced, and it has a good soundstage. However the issue with it is that likes as much dynamic range as the High-End systems. There is something missing that the average listener might not notice, but anyone who has access to audiophile equipment will notice. And BTW to be clear I notice this difference not just with music, but also when listening to something like a Podcast.
  4. Burmester Surround - 5.5/10. This sound system doesn't butcher the music but it doesn't do it justice either. I would say it is acceptable but not enjoyable. The only thing I can say positive about this system is that it doesn't butcher the music like the Bose system in my Porsche 718 (which is the only car I have ever had to replace the OEM speakers).

Last edited by stealth.pilot; Yesterday at 09:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pmichaelmd (Today)
Old Today, 09:42 AM

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
2022 EQS 450+ Pinnacle
Having heard all except the first option, I would agree with the assessment. The third tier Burmester in my EQS is quite good, but falls short of some of the best Bowers and Wilkins systems I have owned in other vehicles like my BMW 7 series, the B&O Advanced in my A8, or even the bespoke system in my Karma Revero.
I wish the higher-end Burmesters were available on the EQS as I would certainly spring for it. If EVs continue to exist, I may look at the Lucid Air Grand Touring as a potential daily driver.
Old Today, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 512 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by pmichaelmd
Having heard all except the first option, I would agree with the assessment. The third tier Burmester in my EQS is quite good, but falls short of some of the best Bowers and Wilkins systems I have owned in other vehicles like my BMW 7 series, the B&O Advanced in my A8, or even the bespoke system in my Karma Revero.
I wish the higher-end Burmesters were available on the EQS as I would certainly spring for it. If EVs continue to exist, I may look at the Lucid Air Grand Touring as a potential daily driver.
EVs will continue to exist. I think there is a bit of mass hysteria going on by the media, but it is worth noting new EV sales in Q2 were at a record high.

The thing that hurts is the resale value, but I also think there is some hysteria by used car buyers. The reality is these are some of the most reliable cars you can buy in terms of long-term reliability and minimal maintenance. Because the motors and batteries last a long time. I still see 10 year old Teslas driving around.
Old Today, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 425 Likes on 293 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
#1 sends you into the fourth dimension where time has no meaning so it must be awesome.

The only thing wrong with the sound system in my Pinnacle trim EQE 500 SUV is the subwoofer is tiny and feels like its under my feet near the bottom of the dash. Give me a subwoofer under my butt from the "4D" system and it'd be perfect. I really don't need/want a huge subwoofer in the trunk or all those other speakers. It's a car not a movie theater.