W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

E63 with headers...where do I go from here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2024 | 12:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55, 2006 E500 wagon, 2014 E350
E63 with headers...where do I go from here?

Just picked up an 07 E63 with a set of American Racing Headers installed, no cats, no resonators, just mufflers. The smell was really strong and the sound was super obnoxious at WOT so I decided to have a set of 200 cell cats welded in. Much better IMO. I need to get the car inspected, but I'm in NYC and there's emission testing involved. I got a guy, but he says I can't have more than one monitor in a not-ready state. Right now, I got a few more than that. Based on the Torque app, is it safe to say that I got a bunch of stuff coded out? Rear O2s? SAI? EGR? If I find them coded out, and code them back in, could the ready monitors actually go ready, or will I just end up with a CEL? Any guidance is welcome.

Old 09-05-2024 | 05:17 PM
SPONSOR

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Each state or county will have differences in their emissions standards. Generally what is done is marking them as not ready/incomplete or not available. In states like California, both of those states will fail automatically.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 09-05-2024 | 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by hachiroku
Each state or county will have differences in their emissions standards. Generally what is done is marking them as not ready/incomplete or not available. In states like California, both of those states will fail automatically.
NY-DMV states they follow the federal EPA so according to them, I easily fail
"How Many Monitors Have to Be Ready?The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines allow up to two monitors to be in a "not ready" state for model year 1996 through 2000 vehicles and one monitor "not ready" for 2001 or newer model year vehicles."
Old 09-17-2024 | 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 e63
Originally Posted by Pauliefein
Just picked up an 07 E63 with a set of American Racing Headers installed, no cats, no resonators, just mufflers. The smell was really strong and the sound was super obnoxious at WOT so I decided to have a set of 200 cell cats welded in. Much better IMO. I need to get the car inspected, but I'm in NYC and there's emission testing involved. I got a guy, but he says I can't have more than one monitor in a not-ready state. Right now, I got a few more than that. Based on the Torque app, is it safe to say that I got a bunch of stuff coded out? Rear O2s? SAI? EGR? If I find them coded out, and code them back in, could the ready monitors actually go ready, or will I just end up with a CEL? Any guidance is welcome.

It very easy i had the same problem
- you need to enable the rear o2 sensor i have xentry
- need to buy mini cats (o2 sensor cel eliminator) i have set if you need
im in nyc (queens)
Old 09-25-2024 | 11:16 PM

Thanks Carlos. I appreciate the advice. I have Xentry too, but I haven't had a chance to get much done lately. The car had a terrible rough idle. After a smoke test revealed a poorly connected catch can as well as a cracked PCV, I pulled the manifold to address it all. Since I had the manifold out, I chose to split it to see the condition of the TBs and the plate. Sure enough it had a nice hole in it from corrosion. Glad I checked. Thankfully, Amazon sells a replacement plate for $120, so I addressed that, reassembled everything, and promptly broke the 90 degree vacuum barb off the brake booster hose where it plugs into the IM. Joy.
As soon as I find a replacement (Part # 2114303629 no longer available) I'll get in there with Star and start re-coding stuff back in.

The following users liked this post:
Carlos R (10-06-2024)
Old 09-29-2024 | 09:37 PM

I got it all sorted today. Car seems happy, so am I. I went into Xentry and found my way into programming, and using the W211 guide, I made my way into Control Unit Adaptations(Variant Coding) however, I guess all the instructions in the guide pertain to the ME 2.8 ECU in the E55 and not the ME 9.7 ECU from the 63. When I got to the list of options, none were numbered. So the entire instructions: "For Post Cat 02 sensors scroll down to 0182 and change Diagnose ein Diagnose aus" aren't helpful because none of the list are numbered. My German is non-existent so google translate can only help so much. I also spent several hours looking through posts with no luck.

@Carlos R which field exactly is for the downstream 02 sensors? I don't suppose you've got any screen shots? Thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2024 | 10:14 PM

Rather than wait around for advice here, I got hold of another 63 that's stock, and went through their settings. Everything lines up exactly between both our cars. And the field which I believe is responsible for downstream 02s is called "Diagnose Dynamikpruefung HinterKatSonde" and it's currently set to "Diagnose Dynamikpruefung HKS ein."
My German buddy translated it for me: it means “behind catalyst sensor” and “ein” means “on” (“pruefung” means testing).
The other two fields I believe are relevant, and both are optioned:

Lambdaregelung --- Lambdaregelung ON, Kat.-Volumen 1 / alle BR ausser 203-/211-Allrad
Lambdaregelung (LR) Parameter --- LR Parametersatz 1 / BR 203/204/209/211/219 (ausser Allrad)
At the end of the day, I think I'll need to put the stock tune back. What's unfortunate is the My Genius hand held programmer which contains the stock tune + the V6 & V7 Eurocharged tunes, refuses to let me upload anything. It's complaining about both an error while reading hardware, and that the files are incompatible with the ECU. When I reached out to Eurocharged about this, they said that they usually see these errors when the ECU get's a software revision that doesn't match what the tunes were installed on. They also said I'd need to have the My Genius wiped, and reset (at a cost of $150 of course) and I'd have to buy a new tune in order to get a stock tune too. I've got so many opinions about that. For now, I'll reach out to the Benz Ninja. Peter is top notch and generally has a work-around for weird **** like this.
Old Today | 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for the information.