Best Diag Tool for 2022 GLE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2024, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLE43
Best Diag Tool for 2022 GLE?

Hi guys,

I picked up a new-to-me 2022 GLE63s recently and am looking to get a new scan / diag tool. Does anyone have one they really like? I mostly want to be able to do stuff like basic diagnostics and service such as brake system exchanges, etc. Figured I'd check here before buying something. Thanks! -Wes
Old 10-05-2024, 10:36 PM

Received 232 Likes on 155 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
Foxwell makes a decent product

Amazon Amazon

Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,847 Likes on 2,425 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
It is either XENTRY or if you want more portability, other forum members has been recommending Launch CReader Elite Benz V2.0 sold on amazon, I am not sure if it is compatible with the V167, but if it doesn't work you can probably return it.
Edit: Please ignore, confirmed by another forum member that it doesn't work on the facelift GLE yet.
Edit2: Just realized OP has the pre-facelift so theoretically it should work.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; Yesterday at 11:50 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

Received 220 Likes on 175 Posts
2024 GLE63s, 2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43
I bought and returned a Launch reader. It could read engine codes but failed to run its Mercedes diagnostic software on the facelifted GLE with MBUX 2.0. It worked on the my older MBUX 1.0 E63 though.

I got an Autel and works on both. Its software is also much better.

Last edited by taphil; Yesterday at 11:29 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by taphil
I bought and returned a Launch reader. It could read engine codes but failed to run its Mercedes diagnostic software on the facelifted GLE with MBUX 2.0. It worked on the my older MBUX 1.0 E63 though.

I got an Autel and works on both. Its software is also much better.
I see, ya that is what I feared, being incompatible with newer MBs.
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,224 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I have the launch Creader. 2.0.
I'm surprised at all it can do and the diagnostics it provides. It can cycle through all the functions of the car including locking and unlocking doors, very similar to that $40,000 console model that our shop got to service 87 BMWs. Moore's Law for cars.

You have to connect to the internet with it to download the Mercedes diagnostic packages, otherwise it just looks at the car and does nothing.

But after that download I was impressed.

I don't expect using anything near its capabilities, but it looks to be capable of doing some of the very deep coding.

Enough to get me in some deep trouble.
I'm going to talk to my service advisor to find out their experience with bad diagnostics from consumer products.

But for so far I've learned a lot about the car.
LAUNCH Creader Elite V2.0 Bidirectional OBD2 Scanner Fit for Mercedes-Benz MB Sprinter Maybach,2024 Full System Diagnostic Scan Tool, All Reset Service, ECU Coding, Auto Vin, Lifetime F-Ree Update https://a.co/d/hTxIJGK
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by mikapen
I have the launch Creader. 2.0.
I'm surprised at all it can do and the diagnostics it provides. It can cycle through all the functions of the car including locking and unlocking doors, very similar to that $40,000 console model that our shop got to service 87 BMWs. Moore's Law for cars.

You have to connect to the internet with it to download the Mercedes diagnostic packages, otherwise it just looks at the car and does nothing.

But after that download I was impressed.

I don't expect using anything near its capabilities, but it looks to be capable of doing some of the very deep coding.

Enough to get me in some deep trouble.
I'm going to talk to my service advisor to find out their experience with bad diagnostics from consumer products.

But for so far I've learned a lot about the car.
LAUNCH Creader Elite V2.0 Bidirectional OBD2 Scanner Fit for Mercedes-Benz MB Sprinter Maybach,2024 Full System Diagnostic Scan Tool, All Reset Service, ECU Coding, Auto Vin, Lifetime F-Ree Update https://a.co/d/hTxIJGK
Sadly, as another forum member mentioned that it is incompatible with NTG 7. Although OP could still probably get it because OP has the pre-facelift GLE with NTG 6.0
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Sadly, as another forum member mentioned that it is incompatible with NTG 7. Although OP could still probably get it because OP has the pre-facelift GLE with NTG 6.0
I wasn't sure if the incompatibility was because they didn't download the Mercedes package.
Most of the complaints on Amazon are from people who didn't download the software.
Launch website says it's compatible with the newer cars.
I certainly can't swear to that, but it's an easy return.

Edit: I was pretty well decided on Foxwell, until I started seeing new reviews on YouTube.
Again, a lot of the negative reviews came from people people who didn't download the software. It's not included in the quick start guide.

Last edited by mikapen; Yesterday at 12:01 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

Received 220 Likes on 175 Posts
2024 GLE63s, 2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43
It might work now with software updates (I tried it back in Aug 2024), but when I had it, it would attempt to run the Mercedes diagnostic and would error out and couldn't read any of the modules. Software was up to date and connected to wifi.
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

I wasn't sure if the incompatibility was because they didn't download the Mercedes package.
Most of the complaints on Amazon are from people who didn't download the software.
Launch website says it's compatible with the newer cars.
I certainly can't swear to that, but it's an easy return.

Edit: I was pretty well decided on Foxwell, until I started seeing new reviews on YouTube.
Again, a lot of the negative reviews came from people people who didn't download the software. It's not included in the quick start guide.
That is certainly a possibility, Launch updates the MB package pretty often so they could always bring new features and better compatibility.
Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Launch claims that this $150 tool has the same functionality as their $2,500 ones. The $2,500 ones cover all brands, with annual renewal charges for each additional brand.
My cheapie one is MB only, with lifetime renewals for that brand. Other brands are available, but only with annual subscriptions.

I'm not really endorsing this because I don't have adequate experience with these devices. But the YouTube crowd seems to have landed in the Launch category. I guess they've been around since the '90s.
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Launch claims that this $150 tool has the same functionality as their $2,500 ones. The $2,500 ones cover all brands, with annual renewal charges for each additional brand.
My cheapie one is MB only, with lifetime renewals for that brand. Other brands are available, but only with annual subscriptions.

I'm not really endorsing this because I don't have adequate experience with these devices. But the YouTube crowd seems to have landed in the Launch category. I guess they've been around since the '90s.
To be fair, we had quite a bit of happy forum members here that got this, some coming from owning much more advanced scanners (below XENTRY), some prefer it over XENTRY in some situations in which they value portability but have both systems though, others switched from iCarsoft.

I personally got one too but didn't really use it that much.
Old Today, 10:10 AM

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
</tldr> For a diagnostic tool I find the Xtool A30M to be a nice balance between cost/functionality </tldr>

I have Xentry and have tried
Autel Autel
and
Xtool Xtool
tablets, an
Xtool A30M Xtool A30M
(bring your own Android device), and the
Launch creader Launch creader
. The tablet based units were almost the same in their functionality, the A30M in combination with Xtool's Android app appears to also be identical to their tablet based tool. I returned the Autel and Xtool tablets as I didn't feel they provided enough value for the $$$ they want. The Xtool A30M on the other hand is relatively inexpensive and from what I can tell provides the same capabilities of their tablets with the exception of using your device (phone or tablet) instead of theirs especially if you use it with a tablet rather than your phone. Though I have Xentry I keep the Xtool dongle in the glove box as it is a bit quicker than getting out the Xentry laptop and C4 to check and/or clear a trouble code.

This brings me to the creader. I picked it up as I heard it would do variant coding. The device itself is ok but the display is tiny at 3.5". Since I got it solely because of the variant coding ability I have not investigated the diagnostics capabilities. I tried it both on our 164 and 167 vehicles. On the 164 it was pretty easy to silence the seat belt warning and see the other coding options. On the 167 things are considerably more complicated though I was able to alter the auto turn signal flash count and change an engine torque limiting option. I have not had a lot of luck finding other things on the 167 that would be interesting. I find the device to also be VERY slow in comparison to the other options. After toying with the creader I'm not impressed but I was looking for a convenient coding tool not a diagnostic tool. It likely functions just fine as a diagnostic tool save for the screen size and speed.
Old Today, 10:22 AM

Received 152 Likes on 108 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by jkaetz
</tldr> For a diagnostic tool I find the Xtool A30M to be a nice balance between cost/functionality </tldr>

I have Xentry and have tried Autel and Xtool tablets, an Xtool A30M (bring your own Android device), and the Launch creader. The tablet based units were almost the same in their functionality, the A30M in combination with Xtool's Android app appears to also be identical to their tablet based tool. I returned the Autel and Xtool tablets as I didn't feel they provided enough value for the $$$ they want. The Xtool A30M on the other hand is relatively inexpensive and from what I can tell provides the same capabilities of their tablets with the exception of using your device (phone or tablet) instead of theirs especially if you use it with a tablet rather than your phone. Though I have Xentry I keep the Xtool dongle in the glove box as it is a bit quicker than getting out the Xentry laptop and C4 to check and/or clear a trouble code.

This brings me to the creader. I picked it up as I heard it would do variant coding. The device itself is ok but the display is tiny at 3.5". Since I got it solely because of the variant coding ability I have not investigated the diagnostics capabilities. I tried it both on our 164 and 167 vehicles. On the 164 it was pretty easy to silence the seat belt warning and see the other coding options. On the 167 things are considerably more complicated though I was able to alter the auto turn signal flash count and change an engine torque limiting option. I have not had a lot of luck finding other things on the 167 that would be interesting. I find the device to also be VERY slow in comparison to the other options. After toying with the creader I'm not impressed but I was looking for a convenient coding tool not a diagnostic tool. It likely functions just fine as a diagnostic tool save for the screen size and speed.

Have you tried any of these tools with v167 Facelift? I believe DOIP is now required to get the OE data. It seems like XTools D8S can do but not sure about A30.
Old Today, 10:32 AM

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Originally Posted by stktyz33
Have you tried any of these tools with v167 Facelift? I believe DOIP is now required to get the OE data. It seems like XTools D8S can do but not sure about A30.
No access to a facelift, only have our '21 GLS and '11 ML

Last edited by jkaetz; Today at 10:33 AM.