SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: New Here...in love with 1997 SL 320!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 MB SL320, 2004 Chrysler Pacifica Limited, 2003&2004 Ford Taurus SE/SEL
New Here...in love with 1997 SL 320!!

Hello everybody, I'm knew here. I've been lurking a few days and just decided to make my first post.
The car is actually my dads (not his everyday driver), but it is a 1997 SL 320. We've had it a little over a year now ( got it from our deceased uncle ), its silver and is in REALLY good condition. It has 65,800 miles..the paint has a few small chips on the hood and other than that, the paint is in better condition then the paint on my 2003 Taurus!
He lets me drive it every now and then, but I've drove it 3 days in a row and I am in love with this car! I want to drive it everywhere.
The acceleration is so good, it has a ton of torque, and I like how the engine doesn't down shift and make a huge jolt when you want to accelerate hard from 2nd or 3rd gear. It takes turns very well and the seats are very comfortable!

I have a few questions though....
1. Is the SL 320 THAT much slower compared to the SL 500 and SL 600? What is the top speed and 0-60 time?

2.How many miles will this baby keep truckin for, if its first 60,000 miles were "lady" driven miles (which I think they were....my uncle wasn't the....well, you know, type ) and we get the oil changed regularly. It will be in storage though from Late november-March. We try to drive it once every 3 weeks though.

3. On the radio, as I'm sure you all know, there are options for "Tape, AM/FM, CD", but ours doesn't have a CD player. I'm wondering if there is a consule under the back 'seat' thing that is a CD Magazine that maybe I don't know about?

4. Lastly, is the hard top THAT hard to put on and remove? I told my dad we should put it on in the fall so we could drive it more in the months where you wouldn't think of putting the top down....he says its not worth the hassle, but I've seen a lot of your pictures and it looks so good with the hard top on...you wouldn't even guess it was a convertible!

I am in love with MB, too! I like the new SL 500, 600, and 55 + 65 AMG's!
My dads a cheap skate though...but when this baby dies, he might consider a used SL 500 (of the newer model)...
anyway, I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone on here...
any answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-03-2005, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Welcome...

In answer to your questions, the SL320 is slower than the SL500 but keep in mind that although the power is lower, so too is the weight so the performance will be quite satisfactory by many people's standards. It is a lot slower than the SL600 though...

Like any car, the maintenance costs go up as the miles pile on, but mechanically they are quite tough. Regular oil changes and inspections at an MB dealer are vital, not least because they may spot problems early on.

The CD changer fits in the trunk on the left hand side. If you reach in underneath the central section, you should be able to find the wiring loom it plugs into.

The hard top is easy to put on, but it needs two of you or a hard top hoist securely attached to your garage ceiling. It will help keep your soft top in good condition if you use the car at all during the wet season and it pays to pack old towels in the folds of the soft top when stashing it for the winter.

Good luck, enjoy the car!
Old 06-03-2005, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
make sure to put the highest fuel in it or ittl run not too well (91-93).

and DONT BUY THE CD PLAYER FROM A DEALER!! LOL theyll rip you off. haha
it is a nice plug in and play option.

the handleing in you car will be very good becasue your engine is so light,

have fun!!!!!!

the 320 is zippy
the 500 is fast
the 600 is faster
the 60 is the fasteres( i think)
but then you have the 73-oooohhhhhh the fasterester lol jk

mark
Old 06-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Almost a Member!

1997 MB SL320, 2004 Chrysler Pacifica Limited, 2003&2004 Ford Taurus SE/SEL
Hey guys, thanks for the answers....

Another question reguarding service and maintence....if we don't take it to a MB Dealer, but another dealer that specializes in European cars (Porsche, BMW, MB, etc) is that as well? Its called Autobahn and is located in Copley, OH, but its not a junker place by any means....
When we took it in to get our battery resynchronized so the top would go down they also changed the oil and we had to get a new radiator. They said it was rusted and would eventually die on us so I guess it was good that they detected that early....but is it really necessary to go to a MB dealer, as long as whomever you take it to knows what they're doing?
What would the price difference for labor/parts at an MB dealer?
JUST a rumor I heard...but I heard labor at MB dealers is $100/hr? Is that true?
Old 06-04-2005, 02:58 PM

95 R129
I have all my routine services done by the dealer. Oil change costs me $38, which I think is reasonable. However, repair work are done by an indie because dealer tends to charge more on other work performed than oil change. So find youself a good knowledegable indie in your area is a must. I would shy away from the one you mentioned, as their labor may not be any better than a real MB dealer.

As far as the 320 goes, it may have less low end power for launching than the 500/600. But once it gets up to speed, it performs just as well as the others. The SL is not a car to be driven like a rice, beating eveyone to the next red light is not the style here. If you want that, get yourself something else.