SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: "Summer Mode" on Remote?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 SL500
"Summer Mode" on Remote?

Page 117 of The SL Experience by John Ohlson mentions a "summer mode" on the remote key that automatically lowers the windows when the doors are unlocked. I can't find this described in my owners manual. How do I enable the summer mode?
Old 08-20-2005, 10:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it's nothing special though =/

to do it, when unlocking the car hold the button or hold the key rather than letting go. In seconds the windows should start lowering.

Also, when locking the car you can raise the windows. Basically the same thing, press the button to lock and hold until the windows go up. Shouldn't take no more than 3 seconds to start it.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:07 AM

2002 SL500
Originally Posted by agentMurdoc
when unlocking the car hold the button or hold the key rather than letting go. In seconds the windows should start lowering.
Oh. I was hoping the book meant there was a mode in which the windows lowered without having to hold down the button the whole time. Perhaps it's just my remote, but the "hold and lower" doesn't start working until I am just a few feet from the car door, and I have to really press down hard on the key. By that time, I might as well just open the door. Thanks agentMurdoc.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:22 AM

1997 SL500
Do any of you know of a way to get the soft top to close with the remote? I'm sure I saw a rather lovely lady doing such a thing on an SL a few years ago... Can't find anything in the Manuel... Was it an option?
Old 08-21-2005, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
Originally Posted by Rockwizard
Do any of you know of a way to get the soft top to close with the remote? I'm sure I saw a rather lovely lady doing such a thing on an SL a few years ago... Can't find anything in the Manuel... Was it an option?

i dont think that is possible, ive looked into having my car do that by customizing it, but it would have eneded up costing 2K. so i opted to pass. but on the new ones i believe that you can remotely lower the top,
Mark
Old 08-21-2005, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
On the R230, you can lower the roof with the remote, but only when you point it at the door handle.

The R129 uses infra-red unlocking, which is why the range is not good. There's an IR receiver in the rear view mirror and you may or may not have on in the door handle.

The R230 uses both radio and IR; the radio will unlock the car from a distance but you can only lower the roof using the IR which means you have to be close to the car.

This is all done for safety reasons, to prevent you raising the roof from a distance and trapping someone's arm in it. The lawyers would have fun with that one...
Old 08-21-2005, 07:58 PM

SL320
Originally Posted by RedMongoosE
i dont think that is possible, ive looked into having my car do that by customizing it, but it would have eneded up costing 2K. so i opted to pass. but on the new ones i believe that you can remotely lower the top,
Mark

I have seen it retro fitted to a 129 - a replacement remote controlling the engine start, roof (up/down) and the windows. Have no clue how much it cost or even how... but it was did work