SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Binging noise when I pull away?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 SL500
Binging noise when I pull away?!

Hello all,

I have spent some time browsing this forum with great interest and have finally taken reciept of my 1997 SL500, emerald green with panoramic roof - wah wah wee wah!

Just upgraded from an E36 318 BMW and the contrast is astounding. Everyone I have taken for outings has been almost as enthusiastic about the car as I have. The acceleration is breathtaking and to cruise is sublime.

My only confusion is that when I initially start her up and pull away, there is a rather civilised 'bing, bing, bing' warning noise from the beautifully carpeted passenger footwell. There are no warning lights on the dashboard and the noise ceases after about seven repetitions.

Have any of you chaps any idea what this could be related to?

Kind regards,

Cheech Rockwizard
Old 08-21-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 VW cc, 2004 ML350
Are you wearing your seatbelt?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:19 AM

1997 SL500
Blimey, that was quick!

Yes, I am.

I thought it could possibly be the airbag sensor for the passenger, due to the source of the warning sound.

Then I had a passenger (with seatbelt), and I thought it may be warning me that my passenger was too ugly? (You never know, it's got everything else!)

Could it be to do with the locking of the hard-top, as I don't recall it sounding when the soft top was down...

Thanks for your prompt response!
Old 08-21-2005, 03:18 PM

SL320
is the red light flashing on the roof release button?

If the light is flashing and the car is 'dinging' then it means the roof isn't locked properly
Old 08-21-2005, 04:12 PM

1997 SL500
That could be just it - would explain the apparent lack of symptoms when the top is down... I think I have noticed the roof release button flashing on occasion. I'll try holding it forward a little longer and see if it locks further. Everything seems to be locked tightly, but maybe there's an unhappy sensor somewhere.
I'll have a fiddle.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:56 PM

1997 SL500
That'll be the problem! I noticed today in the wing mirror that the hard top, although secured firmly, is sitting about 1/8th of an inch higher than I believe it should.
When I push the roof button forwards, it seems to be attempting to lock down but then pops up ever so slightly and attempts to lock again (repeat as necessary).
All seems safe (i.e. I don't think it's going to fly off), but I'll have a look at the sockets for the mounting pins when I remove the top next weekend. It's almost as if there's an obstruction and the locks are backing off at the last minute. Any suggestions..?