SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: fuel filler flap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500 SL R129, Blue - 1991. Mini Cooper S, Works Kit Silver - 2007. Mitsubishi FTO, Silver - 1996.
fuel filler flap

I guess the fuel filler flap is linked to the central locking as well... and that red button thing in the right side of the trunk releases it manually? (I forget who told me that recently). Do you push it or pull it? Mine doesn't seem to work and I'm almost out of gas... and ideas anyone?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:52 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Originally Posted by b4mmy
I guess the fuel filler flap is linked to the central locking as well... and that red button thing in the right side of the trunk releases it manually? (I forget who told me that recently). Do you push it or pull it? Mine doesn't seem to work and I'm almost out of gas... and ideas anyone?
Here's my advice: Don't drive it anymore until you figure out how to open the fuel access door.

No, serious. Go to www.mbusa.com and sign up for "owners online". You can download an owner's manual there. That should give you some tips on maybe how to get the thing open.

In the meantime, from the manual:

The manual release knob is located behind cover in the right slide trunk panel.

In case the central locking system does not release the fuel filler flap:

1. Unscrew wing nut
2. Pull panel away from trunk wall.
3. Pull the manual release knob while simultaneously opening the fuel filler flap.

So, it seems as if you need to be pushing the flap at the same time you are pulling the knob. (sounds dirty, doesn't it? If it doesn't work on your car, try it on your wife or girlfriend).

That failing . . . do they have mechanics in UK? If you drive untill you run out of gas, you are being penny wise and pound foolish. 'Cuz then you gonna have to pay for a tow. (How's that old English saying followed by U.S. slang grab you?)

So, take it to the Stealership or other over-priced mechanic.

Last edited by mebeJOE; 11-06-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:01 PM

500 SL R129, Blue - 1991. Mini Cooper S, Works Kit Silver - 2007. Mitsubishi FTO, Silver - 1996.
Originally Posted by mebeJOE
. . . do they have mechanics in UK? If you drive untill you run out of gas, you are being penny wise and pound foolish. 'Cuz then you gonna have to pay for a tow....

Ah ha! Joe you funny guy....like 'funny like you amuse me' etc...

LUCKILY I have other cars, so I will take your advice and not drive it anymore.

I found that button in the trunk a while ago, and fiddled with it at the station but *crucially* didn't try pulling the flap while pushing the button so I'll have a go later. I might ask the wife to pull it, while I push. You never know it could be my lucky day!

I've got a manual, but you know I just kind of guessed it wouldn't be in there..? But thank you for mentioning it.

Are you serious about there being 'mechanics in the UK' ???? I have to be honest until I read your reply I haven't even seen that word before, let a lone a person named after it.... but I just looked it up in the dictionary and I can't believe it!!!... it's like... I mean, have you got them over there? Did you invent them? You are so incredibly lucky. You guys have got everything. I sure would like to meet one someday.

In the meantime I am just gonna have to deal with the blacksmith at the cattle market in Scratchybottom on the second Monday in April when he has finished reshoeing the family shire-horse, because we have just had to close the country for winter, and we all hibernate until then....

Last edited by b4mmy; 11-06-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:12 AM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Originally Posted by b4mmy
In the meantime I am just gonna have to deal with the blacksmith at the cattle market . . . .
Just so you don't offend any one on this international board, In the USA, thanks to political correctness, we call them "African-AmericanSmiths".
Old 11-07-2005, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by mebeJOE
Just so you don't offend any one on this international board, In the USA, thanks to political correctness, we call them "African-AmericanSmiths".
... a bit deep for me that one Joe. Let's stop this part of the thread.

All I care about is my damn fuel filler flap, which I still can't open!!!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Pull the pin back, into the boot/trunk. You can then open it as normal.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:56 PM

Sorted thank you all.

I am such a FOOOOL!!! I hadn't driven the car for a week or so, and jumped out of the Mini one day, straight into the SL and went to the gas station and tried to open the flap... which is when this all started.

So today I take everyone's advice and.... oooooops, I was pushing the flap in the wrong place.

I'm honest enought to admit it!