SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Plastic window care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 SL500
Plastic window care

I am having three new plastic windows put into my soft top due to the existing plastic having split on both side windows. It's a 98, so I guess 7 years in the Texas heat has taken it's toll. Any advice on treatment/protectant that can be applied to lengthen the windows life and detard the typical hazing and cracking that happens with heat and daily use, thanks.

Larry
Old 11-08-2005, 05:29 PM

97 SL500
May I ask who is doing the work for you??? How much was the quote to do this??? My 97 had the rear section of the top replaced last year by a shop in Fort Worth (I didn't own the car yet, my dad did). This shop is one of the best convertible top shops I've found and his pricing was about 1/2 of what I was quoted by two other reputable shops in the area.

I haven't had mine that long and my dad didn't do anything special to care for it since it was replaced. I plan to try the Meguiars Plastic Cleaner and Polish periodically and maybe Plexus. I think Plexus would be better for maintaining and the Meguiars is probably better for restoration once it starts looking bad...but not having tried the Plexus on it yet, I'm concerned it may leave streaks. I have both products in my garage and will try the Plexus next time I clean the car.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:48 AM

1998 SL500
Plastic window care

It is being done by Absolute Auto, Gary in Dallas, off TI Blvd. His price is $385. He has done other work for me in the past including putting on a new top on my 67 BJ8 Austin Healey (a difficult job) and has always done a very good job and is reasonbly priced.

Picking up today, so we will see................

Larry
Old 11-09-2005, 11:32 AM

97 SL500
Please tell me how it turns out. I'd like to have the clear replaced with the tinted plastic (like the newer jeeps have). My guy doesn't want to do it. I think I can convince him to do it but he probably won't warrant the work.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:44 PM

1998 SL500
Plastic window care

Turned out very well, wished I would have thought about the tinted windows you mentioned, great idea. Windows are tight and the stitching looks good. Nice to have clear windows again.

Gary @ Absolute Auto can be reached at 972-680-8108 if you need to find someone to do the work.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:28 AM

2002 SL500
The plastic windows in my SL were terribly yellowed, but fortunately the dealer replaced them as part of the purchase deal (see before and after pics). I believe the dealer would normally charge $400 to replace them. I'm also interested in keeping them clear. Let us know how you like the Meguiars.
Attached Thumbnails Plastic window care-before.jpg   Plastic window care-after.jpg  
Old 11-11-2005, 09:42 AM

500 SL R129, Blue - 1991. Mini Cooper S, Works Kit Silver - 2007. Mitsubishi FTO, Silver - 1996.
Hi hotel_calif
could you post a close up of the outside rear as well, just to help me out. I'm not sure mine was fitted properly recently, and I'm having a bit of trouble with it....
thank you, would really appreciate it
chris
Old 11-11-2005, 10:28 AM

2002 SL500
How's this?
Attached Thumbnails Plastic window care-outside-rear.jpg  
Old 11-11-2005, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
hotel calif

I recall you had issues with your windows when buying. I had no idea you got them to replace them Was that after they tried to clean & polish them?

Good negotiating! The job they did looks great.

The before and after pics are great.

Our 1999 windows when we bought in 2002 were in a similar state as yours. I did the Meguiars cleaning and Meguiars polishing inside and out. About 2 1/2 hours of hard work. I got them back up to say 98% of looking new.

In the tree years since, the plastic at the fold on the main pane has broken at the stitching to the canvas. So now I have 1 ½ inch long puckers at each edge at the fould points.

As a precaution, people using the Meguiars or other cleaner / polish products should scrub the stitch and plastic edges with canvas soap and rinse well after the procedure. Just in case the cleaner / polishing products lead to plastic deterioration at the stitching in the fold area as has happened to me.

These puckered edges do not represent much of a functional problem to me. But your MB windows look so good. I think I will get mine replaced.

Then as described by others … I would use the fold stuffing techniques for winter storage of the soft top when the hard top is on. To prevent the heavy crease lines evident in your before picture. And to more evenly distribute the stress on the stitching and plastic at the fold area.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:43 PM

2002 SL500
Hi ChrisB:
Originally Posted by ChrisB
I recall you had issues with your windows when buying. I had no idea you got them to replace them Was that after they tried to clean & polish them?

Good negotiating! The job they did looks great.
The new plastic panels were somewhat by accident. When I bought the car, I asked the sales department to clean or replace the yellowed plastic panels, but the sales manager said no. Although disappointed, I accepted the car since they agreed to fix a number of other items after the sale. When I brought the car in for the agreed-upon repairs, I asked the service manager about the plastic windows. He could not believe the dealership would sell the car with plastic that damaged and said he would take care of it. True to his word, he replaced the panels at no charge and did an excellent job. I wrote a nice letter to the general manager thanking them for making me such a satisfied customer. I've read a number of postings about terrible service from MB dealerships, but Hoehn Mercedes in Carlsbad, CA treated me very well.

Will
Old 11-11-2005, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Originally Posted by hotel_calif
Hi ChrisB:
I asked the sales department to clean or replace the yellowed plastic panels, but the sales manager said no. Although disappointed, I accepted the car since they agreed to fix a number of other items after the sale.

When I brought the car in for the agreed-upon repairs, I asked the service manager about the plastic windows. He could not believe the dealership would sell the car with plastic that damaged and said he would take care of it. True to his word, he replaced the panels at no charge and did an excellent job. Will
Wow.

Now that is service! Above and beyond any expectation. That type of service makes for loyal customers!

I had a plastic under car mud guard molding that had been damaged by the previous owner hitting a curb. I did not know about it untill the duct tape they had pasted it back together with dried out and let go. The mud guard moulding began to rub against my front tire when cornering. I tied it out of the way with some twine and took the car in to the shop.

Knowing they had sold the car to me in that state I reported it as latent deficency. Not expecting that they would care. After all it was bought as a used car. Buyer beware.

This was several months after I had bought the car. I fully expecting that they would blame me and charge a lot to simply re-pop rivit the parly rubbed off damaged mud guard panel to the bumper and send me on my way.

No way. They replaced the entire panel with a new factory part. Good as new. At no charge. Not a word was said.

You feel real good when the dealershiop works in that fashion.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:48 PM

500 SL R129, Blue - 1991. Mini Cooper S, Works Kit Silver - 2007. Mitsubishi FTO, Silver - 1996.
How's this?
Fantastic!

That hard plastic strip just above the window is the thing that I am missing! Do you know if I can buy one oem, or should my guy have put that on as part of the service. The reason I am asking is that the car vibrates like crazy when driving over 70 and I thought the wheels were unbalanced at first. But I put the hard top back on a few weeks ago and the vibration stopped! I think that plastic strip is the clue... any ideas?

Thanks again!
Chris
Old 11-12-2005, 07:45 PM

2002 SL500
Originally Posted by b4mmy
That hard plastic strip just above the window is the thing that I am missing! Do you know if I can buy one oem, or should my guy have put that on as part of the service.
I checked eBay for some photos of 1991 R129 soft tops, and they appear to have the hard plastic strip also (i.e. it's not something unique to later model R129s). I'm not sure if that strip has anything to do with your vibration, but it appears that you should have gotten one with your soft top.

I've also attached a closeup of the plastic strip on my car. There is no stitch work on top so it must be attached to the material where it folds underneath. Looks like it may be difficult to add on.
Attached Thumbnails Plastic window care-1991-r129.jpg   Plastic window care-plastic-strip.jpg  
Old 11-13-2005, 04:40 PM

I've also attached a closeup of the plastic strip on my car. There is no stitch work on top so it must be attached to the material where it folds underneath. Looks like it may be difficult to add on.
You're a superstar hotel_calif. I'm gonna get back round to my guy and talk to him about it, I'm sure that's what the problem is.

Thank you