SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Need New Tires...Size? Kind? Help, please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2006 | 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz SL500 & 2009 E350 4Matic Wagon
Smile Third Childhood Tires

I'm one of your older SL drivers (third childhood you know!) and the reason I have an SL ('99 SL500) is to use it as a "personal car" that is fun to drive and very comfortable. I want good traction both wet and dry (live in Washington State). I am not a "hot rodder" but I enjoy feeling the "G's" just a little bit, mostly around the corners. I also want the car to be super quite. My experience with Michelin's on my E Class was that they make a lot of road noise and they slip on wet pavement. I now have factory supplied Continentals on the SL and have had them "sipped" which gave me more starting traction. They also make too much noise. Tread ware is another factor as I am retired and do not have unlimited funds to replace tires often. Could some of you advise me as to the best tire for my needs -- Slower, Quiter & Safer -- Wet or Dry
THANKS
Old 03-31-2006 | 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Originally Posted by 2mbusa
I'm one of your older SL drivers (third childhood you know!) and the reason I have an SL ('99 SL500) is to use it as a "personal car" that is fun to drive and very comfortable. I want good traction both wet and dry (live in Washington State). I am not a "hot rodder" but I enjoy feeling the "G's" just a little bit, mostly around the corners. I also want the car to be super quite. My experience with Michelin's on my E Class was that they make a lot of road noise and they slip on wet pavement. I now have factory supplied Continentals on the SL and have had them "sipped" which gave me more starting traction. They also make too much noise. Tread ware is another factor as I am retired and do not have unlimited funds to replace tires often. Could some of you advise me as to the best tire for my needs -- Slower, Quiter & Safer -- Wet or Dry
THANKS
Go with the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S tires.......They all what you looking for.......quite, safer, longer treadwear, good traction wet, dry, and light snow...... Oh yeah good price too........ I have it and it the best tires........good luck with your choice........
Old 03-31-2006 | 03:53 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Okay, I ordered the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Supposedly the latest and greatest from Michelin if you want performance AND tread life and good for wet or dry. Next weekend I am likely taking a 1400 mile road trip. Yep, in a three day weekend. HA HA -- but no joke.

I'll give a full trip report on the on tires after I did that.

Last edited by mebeJOE; 03-31-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2006 | 09:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1991 300sl 5 speed manual
If money was no object

Remember the wheels That I have at the end of this series of pictures are on loan but if you want them I can get them for 1000 dollars. Just it will cost about 1200 for the tires. The rear tires are 285-25-20. My wheels did not come in yet so I have these for free until I get my 3 piece racing DCRs. Jeff enjoy.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159...+and+Mary+Pics
Old 04-05-2006 | 04:13 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Okay, new tires installed . . .

Okay, the new tires are installed, but first:

Jay: That Asian chick has nice legs. And I like the wheels. Oh, and her smile, too.

Alright on the tires.

Car: 2001 with sport suspension.

I HAD Dunlap Sp Sport tires on -- the guy at the tire store said they were run-flat tires. I didn't buy them, they came with my baby.

Sizes were, and remain, 18 inch; 245/40's in the front; 275/35's in the rear.

Changed to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all season). Cost was about $1350 out the door, installed balanced, tax, road hazard, etc. etc. etc.

Jeez . . . they are great compared to the Dunlaps! Reportedly, they were supposed to be a bit on the loud side, but they are magnitudes quieter than the Dunlaps. And with the Dunlaps, the car would have a tendency to dart around A LOT. Especially over bumps or on concrete roadways with the grooves. And an exceptionally harsh ride. Always making the CD player skip.

All the above problems are gone. The car is quiter, darts and weaves less, the ride is better, it feels like it is sticking to the road better (especially in the wet -- it has been raining here in Los Angeles for a week off and on) and just all-around feels more sure footed. The traction control light doesn't come on as much as it did before either.

So, other than having to pay more for tires than I've paid for entire cars before, I am happy with the purchase.

Now, if I could find an Asian woman with legs and a smile like that . . .
Old 04-11-2006 | 02:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1991 300sl 5 speed manual
Mary says thanks

Thanks for the complement. Thats my Fiance. Getting married in October. JJ