SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: General advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2006 | 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-
Question General advice

I was wondering what the annual maintenance cost on the cars is? I was leaning toward the V12, and expect to put between 5-10k miles on the car, maybe more weather depending.

Are upkeep parts very expensive (shocks/bushings/brakes/parts with chronic weakness/breakage issues)? I assuming so, based of experience with the R230, but would like real owner's experience.

Can most work be done by anyone with respectable auto knowledge/background? Looking at the engine bay, it actually looks easier to work on than BMW V12s.

Are they robust? (ie will the shocks last 120k+ miles or only 75/80k)

I know mid 90s had electrical issues, so I am staying away from those years.

What kind of gas mileage do you get (real world)?

What is the service scduele for the car for services and approximate cost for said maintaince?

I would like a car to replace my E24 6 series as a run around, and I have always LOVED the lines of the R129s.

Thanks all for the help.
Old 03-27-2006 | 12:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 S320, 00 SL500, 06 S430
Hi there

My GF drives a 98 S600. She got it brand new. The car now has 170,000 miles, (she does not take care of the car and I am amazed the car last this long without much problem) and I just have 2 of the rear shock changed, that is the only major repair I have done in the last few years.

Regular maintenance is not too expensive but parts can get to you because parts are rare compare to the 500, and usually parts take longer to get.

Gas milage, full tank (S600) goes about 240 miles (to and from San Francisco with hills), I am guessing about 12 miles / gallon depends on how you drive it.

I personally have the S320, S430 and SL500, but they cannot compare to the 600 smoothness and power (Stock car of course).

One thing when buying a 600, because the engine gets so hot, the wires in the engine bay would melt and crack overtime. So to have those change out is very expensive.

Hope it helps.
Old 03-27-2006 | 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by Auraraptor
I was wondering what the annual maintenance cost on the cars is? I was leaning toward the V12, and expect to put between 5-10k miles on the car, maybe more weather depending.

Are upkeep parts very expensive (shocks/bushings/brakes/parts with chronic weakness/breakage issues)? I assuming so, based of experience with the R230, but would like real owner's experience.

Can most work be done by anyone with respectable auto knowledge/background? Looking at the engine bay, it actually looks easier to work on than BMW V12s.

Are they robust? (ie will the shocks last 120k+ miles or only 75/80k)

I know mid 90s had electrical issues, so I am staying away from those years.

What kind of gas mileage do you get (real world)?

What is the service scduele for the car for services and approximate cost for said maintaince?

I would like a car to replace my E24 6 series as a run around, and I have always LOVED the lines of the R129s.

Thanks all for the help.
The MB V12 motor is far superior to comparable BMW V12s. BMWs are fantastic machines though, and work well as daily performers. The R129s are built like tanks, and the 600 Motor is supposedly bulletproof (metaphorically speaking). But it does drink aLot of gas. I am averaging about 230 miles (per tank) now (up from 205 during the freezing cold). Am hoping to get 250+ in the summer. All in all, it is a very solid car which performs and handles surprisingly well for a 4500 lb car. With my new tires, I can take some very hard turns and the car does not falter nor seem unstable. Just baby the car and it will perform and last for you.