SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Road Trip with my Baby

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Road Trip with my Baby

Okay, got a great road trip planned for this weekend. Should end up about 1600 miles or more. In 3.5 days. Big fun, eh?

Up and down through the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California. From Los Angeles, CA all the way up to the middle of no place where my brother lives, Alturas, CA (see map below). If you haven't driven some of the mountain roads in the Sierra Nevadas, you have missed some of the most beautiful scenary and most fun roads around. The best car I've ever gone with in the past was my 97 Mustang. That was a blast, and my old Mustang couldn't hold a candle to my baby.

The basic route will be Los Angeles to Sacramento to Tahoe. I am giving a tall blonde friend with long legs and big big big eyes a ride to a funeral there. Then up through Reno to Alturas. My brother wants to go to Oregon to look at some properties while I'm there.

Okay . . . there will be a full road trip report. Written in the style so many of you have admired in the past (blush). And I finally purchased a digital camera, so I will have some pictures that are better than what my Treo can take.

Also . . . A radar detector! Ha ha. Last time I drove in the So. Cal. mountains, I got caught (so lucky . . . he pegged me at 73. I'm glad he didn't see me blast past two trucks towing boats, a Jeep and a Toyota all at the same time in a no passing zone, at over 100 mph).

And new tires. And a Sirius Satilite Radio.

I think I am ready. Only problem is that the weather might be bad.
Attached Thumbnails Road Trip with my Baby-map.gif   Road Trip with my Baby-map2.gif   Road Trip with my Baby-alturasmap.gif  

Last edited by mebeJOE; 04-06-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
have a good time joe!!! top on or off?

mark
Old 04-07-2006, 01:46 PM

'87 W124, '95 R129, '04 G35
And don't forget your friend's picture. Especially the leg part
Old 04-10-2006, 03:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1991 300sl 5 speed manual
Road trip

I just did the "as promised" road trip in my SL from Minneapolis to Los Angeles. I left Minneapolis at 10 am and arrived in Denver at Midnight Denver time. I left denver the next morning and stoped in Vail then made it all the way to Victorvill california at midnight California time and stayed with a friend. So I proved its possible to drive from Minneapolis to Victorville california in 30 hours. Here are the pics and I hope you like the car. This is the car I was telling you guys about with the 5 speed manual. The rims on the car at the end are on loan Im getting 3 piece DCR racing forged alloys. Jeff

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159...+and+Mary+Pics
Old 04-10-2006, 10:33 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
For now, just the trip highlights

Okay, for now, just the trip highlights -- a narrative and pictures will follow when I find my camera, which I may have lost.

1. Saw an indicated 140 MPH on the speedo. I tried to take a picture (twice), but you know how hard it is to aim a camera and drive 140? Neither one came out with the right view.

2. My friend's ex-boyfriend attacked me in the parking lot of the Lakeside Inn in South Lake Tahoe, Nevada - I think he was jealous because he doesn't have an R129.

3. And he didn't even know that we *** ## **** in ***** ######### the night before. (okay, that is just a joke).

4. Left Los Angeles, Union Station, at the height of traffic jam time (5:15 p.m.) and made it to Modesto (320 miles) by 9:30. Radar detector was quite helpful.

5. Saw no other R129's on the entire trip.

6. New tires were great.

7. My brother consumed 8 lobsters and 4 lobster tails at a buffet in Reno (all you can eat for $23). I took a bite of one of his, and it was the worst lobster I had ever eaten -- I don't know how he kept it down. But he drives a pick-up truck.

Last edited by mebeJOE; 04-11-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
Originally Posted by mebeJOE
Okay, for now, just the trip highlights -- a narrative and pictures will follow when I find my camera, which I may have lost.

1. Saw an indicated 140 MPH on the speedo. I tried to take a picture (twice), but you know how hard it is to aim a camera and drive 140? Neither one came out with the right view.

2. My friend's ex-boyfriend attacked me in the parking lot of the Lakeside Inn in South Lake Tahoe, Nevada.

3. And he didn't even know that we *** ## **** in ***** ######### the night before. (okay, that is just a joke).

4. Left Los Angeles, Union Station, at the height of traffic jam time (5:15 p.m.) and made it to Modesto (320 miles) by 9:30. Radar detector was quite helpful.

6. New tires were great.

7. My brother consumed 8 lobsters and 4 lobster tails at a buffet in Reno (all you can eat for $23). I took a bite of one of his, and it was the worst lobster I had ever eaten -- I don't know how he kept it down. But he drives a pick-up truck.
lol, sounds like u had a great time, i cant wate and see the picks!

Makr
Old 04-14-2006, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
[QUOTE=mebeJOE]... pictures will follow when I find my camera, which I may have lost.

1. Saw an indicated 140 MPH on the speedo. ...

2. ... I think he was jealous because he doesn't have an R129.

3. ...

4. ...Radar detector was quite helpful.

6. New tires were great.

7. My brother ... QUOTE]

Looking foreward to the full story.

Did you do top speed or comfort cruising?

Lots of people are jealous because they do not have R129 cars. Can you imagine if everyone knew how great the R129 really is?

I can only imagine what the ###***ing involved.

Which radar detector do you have?

R129s are not that common when you get out of the major citys.

Riding on good tires when new inspire great confidence.

What did your brother think of the R129? Is he tempted to trade in his pick up?