SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: turn-signal indicators and hardtop questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turn-signal indicators and hardtop questions

I have just acquired a 90 300sl from an insurance sale (no manual) and the turn indicators and 4-way flashers do not work. The high beams also do not stay on, but the flash-to-pass does work. Does anyone know the remedy?

Also, how do I remove the hardtop roof?
Old 04-27-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 SL500
I have the opposite problem, my flash to pass doesn't work but my highbeams do. My shop told me it's the multifunction stalk/switch...it's a common problem and cost about $450 to replace. This might also be causing your turn signal problem but that could also be a bad relay since the hazards don't work.

The hardtop comes off by operating the the top switch. It's been a while (years) since I've put the hardtop on my car but I think you pull back on the switch to pop the hard top latches (as if you are opening the softtop). No worries if you operate the switch incorrectly, just try the other direction if the top doesn't release and lift. Be sure to unplug the defroster wire at the back of the door jamb before you try to take it off. The top will release and raise up an inch or two then you just lift and carry it off.