SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Noise from fan after hard jolt - A/C related.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2006 | 11:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 SL-600
Noise from fan after hard jolt - A/C related.

I was making a trip from VA to New York and was going over the Goethals/278 bridge in New Jersey where road construction was being done.

This included resurfacing portions of the bridge.

Anyway, I was crossing the brige and hit a raised portion of the road with both front wheels very hard.

While I was driving the A/C was on high and set at 65 Degrees.

Right after I hit the bump, I heard a loud buzzing/whinig sound from under the hood.

I shut off the A/C and fan and the noise stopped.

I turned it on again, after arriving at my destination, and during the few seconds that I let it run, it made the same noise when I had it set on A/C or the Economy mode.

The car still running fine.

I looked in the engine compartment and didn't see any leaks, or see any dangling under the car.

I've put 700 miles on it since the A/C went out.

I'm not sure what happened and am not sure where to start looking before I call the M-B dealer that is an hour away.

Has anyone had this happen before or know what could have happened when I hit that bump.

Thanks,

Vincent
Old 07-08-2006 | 01:09 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 SL600 - 100% Stock
Berry interesting

I don't know if our situations are related, but... My AC works fine in almost all conditions. The exception: If I have the fan blowing when I corner really hard, it sounds like the fan blades are rubbing. After I stop cornering, all sounds are normal. My wife did take a dip too quickly a while back, but I can't say they are related, as the noise only happens when performing hard manuvers. I didn't get the chance to do that for a while after my wife's incident. I suspect you can get the blower replaced fairly inexpensively, so I wouldn't worry too much.