SL/R129: Top still won't work! HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 500SL
Top still won't work! HELP

Just bought this 95 SL and when I attempted to remove the hardtop the front latches leaked like something fierce. I removed them and sent them to Dennis and had them rebuilt. He did a wonderful and professional job on them. Great service. But, (Why does there always have to be a But?), Now as the soft top comes up and the front comes super close to the header(but does not latch), the rear portion with the plastic rear window does not go down. Again, the main problem is the back portion with the plastic window does not attempt to go down and attach to the car. Can somebody direct me as to whats wrong now? Thanx in advance, Greg Z
I wouldn't mind a phone call either if you don't.
318-792-5631
Old 11-16-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
had a similar problem, check the fuses in the truck.

also when the soft top comes down the to "windsheild", let go of the button, pull down the soft top and push the button again.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Almost a Member!

92 500SL
Originally Posted by agentMurdoc
had a similar problem, check the fuses in the truck.

also when the soft top comes down the to "windsheild", let go of the button, pull down the soft top and push the button again.
I checked the fuses in the top right of the trunk and they are good.

I pulled on the windshield portion of the top and got it to latch, then the back went down a lil but with the cover boot still up?, I manually lifted the back piece back up and manually lowered the boot so now everthing is close but the back section is inches from latching at the back and now I cannot get anything to happen, up, down, nothing, just simply won't move.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Almost a Member!

92 500SL
OK, Heres the update. Mechanic released the header manually, then adjusted it behind the visor. Now the top goes down properly. To raise the top it starts off correctly.
1. Boot comes up

2. Then top comes up & to the header but does not latch. But, then the boot does not go down on its own, so the whole operation simply stops.

3. So then if you get out and help the boot cover just a little it will catch then go down and finish the whole operation.

4. Once you've helped the boot go down the the back comes down & latches and the header latches.

what is keeping the boot cover from automactically coming down on the "raising the top operation". When lowering the top the boot works properly.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 389 Likes on 308 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by Greg Z
Again, the main problem is the back portion with the plastic window does not attempt to go down and attach to the car.
The back portion (fabric bow) remaining up is a symptom -- not the problem. The problem is that the top is not latching at the windshield. This has to happen before the controller will lower the bow.

Your problem is probably one of three switches in the windshield. At each latch there is a switch that signals the controller when the latch is locked, and another switch signals that the top is closed. This last switch is a reed switch that closes when a magnetic plate in the convertible top reaches the windshield (picture).

I would do a visual inspection of these switches, and if there are no obvious problems, then I would check their inputs at the connector to the soft top controller using a basic multimeter.
Attached Thumbnails Top still won't work! HELP-plate.jpg  

Last edited by bobterry99; 11-20-2006 at 03:02 PM.