SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Electric Exhaust Cutout's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Sounds like a very nice project, can't wait to see the results.

About the cats, from what I have heard...those with a n/a engine or turbo engine will gain some nice hp increases from removing exhaust restrictions like cats. But the supercharged cars like the 55 kompressor motors will lose hp and tq from removing cats because they need some backpressure. This is what I've seen from the guys on the E55 forums who have dynos to prove it.

So, your car should see some nice benefits from this custom exhaust you're talking about. It should also sound insane. The only thing I'd be concerned about is getting a malfunction light or something from this.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:00 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That has everything to do with the ECU and a loss of exhaust velocity, and absolutely nothing to do with backpressure.

I guarantee you that is either a tuning issue, or whoever removed the cats left the exhaust in messed up shape.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
The e-cutout exhaust came in yesterday. I'm going to try to get it welded in today and possibly wired up if I can find a shop that'll do it. So, by the end of the day, theres a chance that I might have it fully installed. I think I'm going to have it placed in between the cat and the muffler because I'm afraid that there's gonna be a warning light. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
The e-cutout exhaust came in yesterday. I'm going to try to get it welded in today and possibly wired up if I can find a shop that'll do it. So, by the end of the day, theres a chance that I might have it fully installed. I think I'm going to have it placed in between the cat and the muffler because I'm afraid that there's gonna be a warning light. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
don't forget to post some pictures......
Old 02-05-2007, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
I took videos of it on Saturday. I'm going to try and get them uploaded onto YouTube tonight. Check out the CLK w209 forums, the links and all will be posted there.