SL/R129: Electric Exhaust Cutout's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2000 SL500
Electric Exhaust Cutout's

Mark=RedmongoosE,

I was thinking of you and your car while I was watching the Speed channel tonight and thought HOW COOL!
Check out these DMH Performance Electric Cutout's, $199-$360 US
http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm

BTW, the guy suggested that at installation a "short downturn" be added after the cutout.

What is the diameter of our stock dual exhaust system?

With a system like this you really don't have to get carried away with all kinds of modifications and you can open or close the system to varying degrees.

Can you imagine the sound that you can make at the next Ralley. It causes me to think back on my High School years when I pulled into the hamburger stand with a Sunbeam Tiger and let her rip. Those guys with the GTO's ran scarred.

BTW, for those of you who don't know what a '66 Sunbeam Tiger is it had a 260 cubic inch Ford engine and was designed by Shellby.
Attached Thumbnails Electric Exhaust Cutout's-dmh.jpg   Electric Exhaust Cutout's-exhaust-system-96-02-sl500.jpg   Electric Exhaust Cutout's-10.jpg  

Last edited by lynns; 01-22-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
I don't remember what the diameter of our stock exhaust system...... This is what I believe it would be...... please look at the picture diagram........ Lynns let me do some more study about DMH Performance Electric Cutout's and I will get back to you......

Last edited by SL BRABUS; 01-22-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2000 SL500
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS
I don't remember what the diameter of our stock exhaust system...... This is what I believe it would be...... please look at the picture diagram........ Lynns let me do some more study about DMH Performance Electric Cutout's and I will get back to you......

Tony,

After you get the information that you need would you please show me where you think the the cutout should be placed and what size if I do it? Can the cutout's go before the CATS?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1991 300sl 5 speed manual
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................I think it just moved..
Old 01-22-2007, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I make a mistake...... the diameter after the cats are 2inch...... here the new picture of the diagram........

Last edited by SL BRABUS; 01-22-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lynns
Tony,

After you get the information that you need would you please show me where you think the the cutout should be placed and what size if I do it? Can the cutout's go before the CATS?
This is a good idea.... . when you want performance and exhaust sound you could open up the DMH...... when you not in a mood for loud exhaust you could close the DMH and you will run like a stock exhaust.... ...The DMH Performance Electric Cutout's should be 2.5 inch in diameter on both side after the cats...... The cutout's can not go before the CATS because:
1. you will have problem with the check engine light coming on... ...
2. you need some backpressure..... with out backpressure you will lose horsepower & torque... ....
3. It illegal to open up the DMH before the CATS because of the smog issue.... not worth it if cops find out... .... big fine... ....

Hope this information help Lynns........

Old 01-23-2007, 05:16 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no point in doing those unless you put them before the cats. Trust me. I run these on my cars, the exact same ones.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SL600 V12
There is no point in doing those unless you put them before the cats. Trust me. I run these on my cars, the exact same ones.
Any pictures.......??
Old 01-24-2007, 03:20 AM
Almost a Member!

I don't have them on my SL600 yet, but I have got them on my Camaro and my Lincoln.

I'll do you better than pics. I'll make a vid of them in action.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:23 AM
Almost a Member!

1997 SL500, 1994 Impala SS on steroids, 2007 MV Agusta Brutale 910R
How do you figure? I personally watched a 94 impala SS equipped with a fuel injected 454 big block pick up 30hp on the dyno with electric cut outs placed after the catalitic converters.

I have a set of the same cutouts going on my 383 equipped, 94 impala ss, but my car is not running cats at all......shhhh!
Old 01-26-2007, 12:11 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
The website says you can put them "anywhere after the headers:"
How it works: DMH Electric Cutouts are designed to better your cars performance and feel. The cutout works by welding into your stock or modified exhaust. They can be placed anywhere after the headers. To open the cutout you press a switch, which opens cutout, releasing your exhaust. This enables you to bypass your muffler, increasing horsepower and giving your car an extremely throaty rumble. Click one of the movies on our "Photo Gallery" page to see and hear the cutout in action!
Are they supposed to be welded in?

Who can do the work?

Will they void the warrenty?

Last edited by mebeJOE; 01-26-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
They shouldn't affect your warranty at all and if there was an issue, Im sure you could get it removed easily.

I am extremely interested in this. I removed my old Eisenmann Race exhaust because it was just too damn loud for daily driving and my whole town was mad at me lol. But, I miss that musclecar sound so much. This seems like something that would be perfect for me, especially since its pretty cheap. I'm gonna go to the muffler shop next week and ask the guy if he can do it for me. If I get a reasonable quote on installation and if he can definitely do it, I'll get it ordered and install it on the CLK. Time to ressurect the beast!

Wish me luck lol.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:09 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Just Some Guy
How do you figure? I personally watched a 94 impala SS equipped with a fuel injected 454 big block pick up 30hp on the dyno with electric cut outs placed after the catalitic converters.
I'll lay good money down that those cats were not OEM GM catalytic converters.

I have a set of the same cutouts going on my 383 equipped, 94 impala ss, but my car is not running cats at all......shhhh!
Best way.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:13 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by mebeJOE
The website says you can put them "anywhere after the headers:"
How it works: DMH Electric Cutouts are designed to better your cars performance and feel. The cutout works by welding into your stock or modified exhaust. They can be placed anywhere after the headers. To open the cutout you press a switch, which opens cutout, releasing your exhaust. This enables you to bypass your muffler, increasing horsepower and giving your car an extremely throaty rumble. Click one of the movies on our "Photo Gallery" page to see and hear the cutout in action!
Yes, but you are still leaving the largest restriction in place (the cats). That's all I meant. You're not going to get a good gain without bypassing the cats, unless your engine is tossing out a serious amount of power, or if your exhaust is a really bad system.

Are they supposed to be welded in?
Yes. Welded them in with the rest of my exhaust system.

Who can do the work?
Any non-chain exhaust shop will be more than competent to perform the install. If they do any sort of aftermarket exhaust fabrication at all, then they are more than qualified.

Will they void the warrenty?
Deepends on the dealer. According to the Magnusson-Moss Act, it is illegal to void your warranty at all. The most they can legally do is deny you specific work if they can PROVE that a non-OEM part caused the problem you are asking to have serviced. But that's just the law. Many dealers don't obey the law.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Almost a Member!

1997 SL500, 1994 Impala SS on steroids, 2007 MV Agusta Brutale 910R
I'll lay good money down that those cats were not OEM GM catalytic converters.
You know something, you are probably right, I didnt even think of that. When the car was ran on the dyno I expected to see a rise in HP, but a little less torque as a result of the drop in back pressure, boy was I wrong. The car jumped up almost 70 lbs of torque, and any way you slice it, the sound is down right amazing.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Wouldn't the V12 need a muffler to create some necessary backpressure? I am seriously considering this upgrade at the moment, so some help on this issue would be appreciated.

Imagine:

Roaring around at night, enough decibels to shatter eardrums...oh ****, see lights coming from distace.

Flip a switch, back to silent stealth exhaust note. Lights catch up, I pull over.

"You do know that your car is far too loud to be street legal"

"Um...sir, if anything, this car could be a little louder. The stock exhaust removes all the rumble."

"Yeah, right. So you're saying that wasn't you ripping up a quiet night?"

"Can I please start my car? I'll prove it."

2 Minutes Later

"You can go now." (with a puzzled look on his face)

I would have a field day with this lol.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by HLG600
Wouldn't the V12 need a muffler to create some necessary backpressure? I am seriously considering this upgrade at the moment, so some help on this issue would be appreciated.

Imagine:

Roaring around at night, enough decibels to shatter eardrums...oh ****, see lights coming from distace.

Flip a switch, back to silent stealth exhaust note. Lights catch up, I pull over.

"Um...sir, if anything, this car could be a little louder. The stock exhaust removes all the rumble."

2 Minutes Later

I'm glad I'm not alone lol.

I went to 3 different shops today, 1 guy didn't want to do it. The other guy said for me to buy the part and bring it in, no big deal. The third guy said to come back during the week and the exhaust guy will talk.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:59 PM

04 S500, 05 Jeep GC, 06 Acura TL, 04 BMW 530i, 98 Jag xk8,
what shops did you go to in NY?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Meineke Mufflers in White Plains, EZ Riders in Scarsdale, and Automasters of Westchester in Mamaroneck. I'm in Westchester county (right above the BX).

I'm gonna just order the part and run over to Meineke (nice and cheap), I just hope they can wire it up right. If they don't want to do the wiring, then I'll take it to Automasters (the same place that did my nitrous install).

Once I find out the diameter of my exhaust pipes, I'm going to order the part. And thank you SL600V12, since you have nice cars I'm sure you don't want crap parts on them so I'm following your reccomendation. But I don't think I'll be able to put these in front of the cats, I heard that most Benzes get a malfunction or check engine light if you touch the cats. I'm thinking of putting it where my resonator.

This should be a pretty cool project, thank everybody for filling me in on this. I'll make sure to post the results in the CLK w209 section.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:25 PM

04 S500, 05 Jeep GC, 06 Acura TL, 04 BMW 530i, 98 Jag xk8,
I know where it is.. I live in Westchester lol.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by HLG600
No such thing. Backpressure does nothing but bad for an engine. This is a common misconception caused be people destroying the tuned length of their exhaust causing a loss of exhaust velocity, and then blaming it on backpressure.

Imagine:

2 Minutes Later

That would be hilarious as hell.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
No such thing. Backpressure does nothing but bad for an engine. This is a common misconception caused be people destroying the tuned length of their exhaust causing a loss of exhaust velocity, and then blaming it on backpressure.
Thanks for the info. Are you installing this on your 600? If you do, can you please post pics.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Almost a Member!

I'm doing it with a complete exhaust from the manifolds back. Will post when it is done.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Sounds good. What kind of gains would you expect if you if these cutouts were placed after the cats?
Old 01-29-2007, 01:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Dunno, and I am not even going to bother to find out. To me, the cats are the worst part of the exhaust and if I bother to do anything at all to the exhaust, the cats are going to go bye bye. The plan right now is an X-pipe dual 2.5" system feeding into twin racing mufflers for resonation control (zero restriction), and then fed into a single muffler at the rear. The rear muffler will either be a Lorinser, Carlsson, or Renntech. Haven't decided which yet as there aren't too many V12 Sl's out there running these fine products.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R129: Electric Exhaust Cutout's