SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: R129 Illuminated Door Sills Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2007 | 01:55 AM

2000 SL500
R129 Illuminated Door Sills Install

I have a 2000 SL500 Triple Black Sport with the SL1 and SL2 package options. There are additional aftermarket options available for the R129 but I for one am not interested in making my car look like a Pep Boys Special.

But there is one aftermarket option that I do like and it seems to get great feedback from Forum to Forum. And that is "Illuminated Door Sills". So I have decided to move forward with the install of the "Mercedes Benz" version.

There are several ways to install. DIY, INDY, Stealer, and Radio & Alarm store. After carefully reading the forums I have decided to go with and INDY that has done this install before. Total parts and labor cost $312.00

Here are the Parts and Labor Costs that I have found and had quoted.

DIY parts = $149+$13 ship = $162.00 plus 10A fuses and squeeze taps for tapping the car wires, etc.
INDY labor = $75.00-$150.00 total.
Radio and Alarm Shop labor = $90.00 total.
Stealer parts and labor = $1,100.00-$1,295.00

I am also posting some important information that I found for you DIY'ers.

The sills are available from Gerry at formymercedesdotcom (Replace the "dot" with a period) for $149+ship.
They do not come with install instructions.

But you will find a great install document @ http://www.bensbenz.com/guides/sill/w203sill.htm

Be sure and clean the original sill with alcohol so the new one will stick properly. Check the fitment before you take the protective backing off the double sided tape. If the tape is not thick enough get some heavy duty 3M double sided tape and put another layer or two down or use a silicone calk to help them adhere tightly. You can put the silicone in between the double sided tape. You will want to ensure you line up the upper and lower sills. CAREFULLY bend the metal so it sits flush on the plastic sill. Once you are satisfied with the fitment pull off the backing and install the upper sill.

The display panel has a small 12V DC to 120V AC in-line converter to drive the display. It has been suggested that you place each converter in a easily accessible location like the plastic door sill trim that hides the wiring harnesses. If the display stops working simply unplug the little black plastic connector clip and plug it back in. If that doesn't work and the converter is defective ask Gerry to send a replacement.

See the below diagram for the removal of the door sills on a Standard trim R129.

Note: Steps may be slightly different for AMG trim and you may have to remove the exterior door and fender trim first.

Adjust seats all the way back.

1) Remove plastic rivet cover over 2) screw.

2) Remove screw.

3) Remove plastic rail cover upward.

Note: Before the plastic rail cover can be lifted there is a plastic "rivet" (M-B p/n 1269900292) on the inside of the car forward to the seat that needs to be removed.

4) Pull out bottom rubber strip starting at center and remove toward front and rear.

Note: Strip is greased and clips in (messy).

5) Remove (2 each) screws.

6) Remove panelling toward outside.

7) Remove (8 each) screws .

8,9) Remove screws.

10) Unclip panelling (4 clips) at top and remove.

11) Pull out plug-in clips.

Finally, the rear wing plastic trim panel needs to come off to allow the sill to be removed.

Install or replace damaged clips on (10) panelling and clip bottom sections on main frame member.

Install in opposite order.
Attached Thumbnails R129 Illuminated Door Sills Install-doorsillremoval.gif   R129 Illuminated Door Sills Install-r129sill.jpg  
Old 03-11-2007 | 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
look sweet......!!