SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Trouble starting and buzzing noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 SL500
Trouble starting and buzzing noise

Hi everyone, I just picked up a 1990 SL500 imported from Japan (complete with not-so authentic SL 60 logo on back) and have run into a problem. Car has trouble starting. Turns over no problem at all, but it seems there is a lack of gas/petrol going through. Once it starts, no problems after that (so far). I do hear a buzzing sound coming from the right rear of the car by the gas cap but only when the car is in drive (like clock work, it pulses every few seconds). I did search a number of posts and it sounds like the fuel pump may be having issues (Red Mongoose). This seems strange as I had my fuel pump replaced as soon as I got the car (2 months ago). Could it be a bad install on the replacement fuel pump?

Last edited by reptile; 03-12-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:03 PM

1998 E320, 1994 320 SL,2000 Ford F 150.1997 Gixxer 1100
Cool

Originally Posted by reptile
Hi everyone, I just picked up a 1990 SL500 imported from Japan (complete with not-so authentic SL 60 logo on back) and have run into a problem. Car has trouble starting. Turns over no problem at all, but it seems there is a lack of gas/petrol going through. Once it starts, no problems after that (so far). I do hear a buzzing sound coming from the right rear of the car by the gas cap but only when the car is in drive (like clock work, it pulses every few seconds). I did search a number of posts and it sounds like the fuel pump may be having issues (Red Mongoose). This seems strange as I had my fuel pump replaced as soon as I got the car (2 months ago). Could it be a bad install on the replacement fuel pump?

Aahha, nope it's not your fuel pump. It is your vac pump. There is a leak somewhere and that's what causing it to buzz. I have the same prob. My driver door mirror leaks vac and causes the pump to keep replenishing the leaky lines.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:19 AM

c240
Hi did you ever find out why it is hard to start i have the same problem when mine sits over night have to crank it and crank it runs ruff when it first starts but levels out runs fine after a few seconds i have tried putting gas in the intake one ounce car started right up so still looking to see where problem is any help would be great thanks
1990 SL500