SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Where to source Bilstein sport?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2007 | 11:37 PM

mercedes
Where to source Bilstein sport?

im changing out the suspension and springing in my sl but cannot find any place that sells the Bilstein sport for the r129

all i can find is bilstein oem or heavy duty but i want one designed for lowering springs...
Old 05-29-2007 | 11:57 AM

97 SL500
Originally Posted by rellik
im changing out the suspension and springing in my sl but cannot find any place that sells the Bilstein sport for the r129

all i can find is bilstein oem or heavy duty but i want one designed for lowering springs...
I think the Bilstein HD is your only choice for the R129. I could never find an application of the "sport" for this car. I got my HD's (for a 1997 SL500) from Summit Racing.
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:25 AM

'07 ML 320 CDI
I've checked both Bilstein and Koni and neither makes a sports shock..
Old 06-12-2007 | 04:35 AM

1991 500SL
Originally Posted by rellik

Hi rellik,

I had the same dilemma, actually bought the Bilstein HD for my '91 500SL, however while surfing the net I came upon a site, AmgKit.com that sells a kit that has 4 shocks + 4 springs + 1 front stabilizer for US$999. I think this is of good value as it would total to about the same if you were to buy 4 HD Bilsteins + 4 lowering springs, but without the front stabilizer yet. The AMG has a bigger diameter front stabilizer. However, I have not yet done any business with this company, so be forewarned.

Good luck

Chicky
Old 07-03-2007 | 11:13 AM

sl 500 r129
Originally Posted by chicky
Hi rellik,

I had the same dilemma, actually bought the Bilstein HD for my '91 500SL, however while surfing the net I came upon a site, AmgKit.com that sells a kit that has 4 shocks + 4 springs + 1 front stabilizer for US$999. I think this is of good value as it would total to about the same if you were to buy 4 HD Bilsteins + 4 lowering springs, but without the front stabilizer yet. The AMG has a bigger diameter front stabilizer. However, I have not yet done any business with this company, so be forewarned.

Good luck

Chicky
Helo Chicky,

I'm also from manila, got my r129 sl500 two weeks ago, it's an import from Japan and it got a lot of things that needs to be fixed. Also need to replace my front Shocks, so how's the performance of your bilstein shocks? And where did you bring it for replacement?

tnx
Old 07-04-2007 | 05:01 PM

1991 500SL
Hi calibre8,

I have the bilsteins and other parts on stand by, as I don,t have yet the H&R lowering springs. I intend to strip down the entire car for repainting to silver and then install all the new parts. As far as servicing is concerned, I have a "CATS" mechanic do it on the side. If you need help, send me an email at: alustarfabricatorsinc@yahoo.com , I can also help you with parts ordering. May I suggest that you be careful having your car serviced at CATS Global City, as I used to have mine serviced there, and I had the bad experience of them being really a MB "stealership".

Chicky
Old 07-05-2007 | 05:26 AM

sl 500 r129
Originally Posted by chicky
Hi calibre8,

I have the bilsteins and other parts on stand by, as I don,t have yet the H&R lowering springs. I intend to strip down the entire car for repainting to silver and then install all the new parts. As far as servicing is concerned, I have a "CATS" mechanic do it on the side. If you need help, send me an email at: alustarfabricatorsinc@yahoo.com , I can also help you with parts ordering. May I suggest that you be careful having your car serviced at CATS Global City, as I used to have mine serviced there, and I had the bad experience of them being really a MB "stealership".

Chicky
Hello Chicky,

I attached some photos for your reference, its already lowered when i got it, you can see that it already has the H&R lowering springs installed,i think it's ready for those bilsteins

pls check your email, i have sent you my personal details.

ty

Old 07-05-2007 | 09:04 AM

1991 500SL
Hi calibre8,

I will check my car, with regards to that wiring harness, as shown in your picture. I not sure, but those wires might be connected to stability sensor, which detects if the car might get into a situation were it might overturn, it will automatically activate the roll bar to pop out and deploy.

May I request you to resend the email, as haven't recieved it yet.

If you need info on parts, I have a parts catalog for the R129 and also an owners manual, actually two, one set is a xerox copy and the original that arrived lately.

My sl is at the moment sitting in the garage, last Tuesday nite, I decided to go to Makati, and while running fast at the skyway, I think the heater connection inside the car gave way...it was like having a suana/steam bath inside the car. Had to park it overnight at a friend's shop in Pasong Tamo, and just brought it back home. The mechanic will come over on Sunday to see what needs to be done...gastos na naman!

Chicky
Old 07-05-2007 | 11:28 AM

sl 500 r129
hello chicky

tnx for the reply,just worried about the functionalities of those wires, its protective insulation is already deteriorating,it might need some repairs to prevent further damage.i dnloaded an electronic copy of the owners manual in pdf form courtesy of a forumer, he provided a link to it.maybe u can lend me only the parts catalog so i can have it copied.

too bad for your a/c, i observed that these babes(sl's) are really high maintenance ones, but the joy of keeping one in your garage is indescribable , it's a good thing that you have your own mechanics, local repair shops, even the independent ones will surely rip you off,i will tell u about it in details if we happen to get a chance for an eb

going back to the topic(before the mods reminds us ), my ride, specially up front is really bouncy, so i'm in dire need of those new bilstein shocks, i hope you could give me the contact nos. of the local suppliers