SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Two Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Questions

My name is Jim and my Dad just bought a 1997 SL500.

I have two problems that hopefully all you great SL owners can help me with.

1) Missing the valet and flat key for the car.
Any place where I will be able to buy the keys?
2) There is a rattling coming from behind the passenger seat, near the back speaker. Thought it was from the bass, but it is only at level 2. Could the bass actually be higher than shown on the radio? How could I fix this problem?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-19-2007, 05:08 PM

2007 SL550
on #2
check the latch in the compartment bin

the bass vibrates so it may lead to rattling of the bin door or things inside
Old 07-19-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Originally Posted by MB97SL
My name is Jim and my Dad just bought a 1997 SL500.

I have two problems that hopefully all you great SL owners can help me with.

1) Missing the valet and flat key for the car.
Any place where I will be able to buy the keys?
2) There is a rattling coming from behind the passenger seat, near the back speaker. Thought it was from the bass, but it is only at level 2. Could the bass actually be higher than shown on the radio? How could I fix this problem?

Thanks,
Jim
First, welcome!

Extra keys can be obtained from your local MB dealer. Just show proof of ownership and they can order based on the VIN. Of course, the assumption is that the tumblers are the same as when the car was built. Chances are, the tumblers have never been changed. Not sure what the going price is these days for a mid-90's key, but the local MB dealer is your first stop.

Whenever I purchase a used Mercedes, I always get one key made from an MB dealer. This way, no matter how worn out the keys have been, I always have a clean, new, sharp key to use as a 'master' whenever I need extra spare keys.

In the R129 model, the Bose bass speaker is behind the driver's seat. Behind the passenger seat is a storage compartment with a similar latch as the cover over the Bose bass unit. Chances are, you have something loose in there.

When I first bought my '94 SL500, every time I would make a sharp turn, there was a single 'thunk' sound. Drove me nuts for weeks. Turned out the previous owner had left a small bottle of water in that compartment - it would roll side-to-side during hard turns.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:56 AM

First off, thanks for the great welcoming!

I checked the comparment behind the seat and there was the ashtray in it...I removed that and it sounded fine tonight during the drive. (Thanks Claudio for that help)

And also thank you MB-Dude for the information on the keys I need to order, I will hopefully have time to stop at the MB dealer tomorrow.

Thanks again you guys,

- Jim