SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Q's on a '01 SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2007 | 03:58 PM

2006 C230 Sport (traded in for a Tesla Model 3)
Q's on a '01 SL500

All,

I am looking to get back into the M-B SL fold (had a '61 190SL back in the mid-'70s...), and am now looking at a very nice '01 SL500. I have looked through a lot of the archives of this group, and really appreciate all the good info I've found!

Overall it looks like a terrific car: Engine is smooth and strong. Can Not Feel the tranny shift. Brake pedal travels a bit - then GRABS. A/C is cold... There are a few minor rock nicks in the nose - which were touched up, but noticable if one looks closely. No signs of any bodywork (no overspray anywhere I looked, carfax is clean.) There are a couple of minor interior problems. One should be easily fixable, the other will annoy me... Regular hard top, not the 'panoramic' one. Has the M-B CD changer option.

Anyway, a few questions:

1.) DRLs - in checking rates with my insurance company, they mentioned they give discounts if the car has DRLs. I noticed that in an old thread, there was some discussion of DRLs - which are required in Canada. Is it easy to retrofit the Canadian DRL mod into a US-spec car? Or should I just get a $15 Painless Wiring kit? If it matters, this car has the xenon headlights.

2.) The car has 18" AMG wheels, and the brake calipers are painted red. There are no obvious AMG decals on the car though. Were these add-ons or optional equipment? Do the red calipers indicate anything?

3.) Turning the radio on AM and tuning between stations, I heard a bit of crackling but it didn't really change with RPM. So I'm thinking the ignition wiring and alternator are fine. But not sure what the source of the noise could be. Is this simply 'normal'? Or should I have a mechanic look at it? (E.g., a bad ground on an electronics module, etc.)

W.
Old 08-20-2007 | 12:22 AM

2006 C230 Sport (traded in for a Tesla Model 3)
Unhappy

Rats. Waited too long and someone else bought it.

I'd still be interested in any opinions on my questions "for the next one".

W.