SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG
View Poll Results: Is this a common question?
Parts of it?
0%
Somewhat?
0%
Average?
0%
Very?
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

SL/R129: Getting Stereo Code?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 SL 500
Getting Stereo Code?

I just bought a 92 SL500, and I realize the stereo is locked because the previous owner changed the battery. Any idea how to get the code? If i have to remove the stereo to get the serial number, how do I remove the stereo?

Also, I'd like to remove the passenger door panel to sylicone the window mechanism which works intermittently and squeaks a lot. Any idea how to remove the door panel?

And I have to replace the hydrolics above the visor and windshield. Where is the best place for parts?

Please help.

Thank you...by the way, other than that...i love the way this car drives!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
The easiest way to get the radio code is simply to visit your local MB Dealer. Take the VIN and any proof of ownership. Using the MB Database, they can look up the radio code for the original radio in the car. If the radio had been changed at point in the past, they can probably help you pull out the radio long enough to get the serial number. The removal process is less than 30 seconds.

As a helpful tip, the database page that the radio code is located actually contains a ton of useful historical information if your vehicle was purchased through a 3rd party. Ask them to print it out for you while on the screen.

Regarding the door panel, if you are mechanically inclined, this link should be helpful…
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...+panel+removal

Here’s an excellent thread regarding the hydraulic cylinders…
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r129/157199-oil-leaking-sunvisor-hinge.html

And as a bonus, here is an excellent article on how to change the hydraulic cylinders…
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...ix-begins.html

Good luck on your new ‘toy’ and welcome to the SL family!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Almost a Member!

1993 500SEL
Becker Codes can be obtained several ways.

Software is floating about on the internet that computes codes for you when you provide the model and serial number. You can find that in forums for audiophiles. Google might even direct you to sources for such software.

So, for starters, post the model (prolly a 1432) and its serial number.

If you don't get a serial number back, via email or posted, I would be surprised.

Becker, of course, charges for giving you your own number. I think its $30.

Another place you can find it (bad place) is the owner's manual where prior owners have been known to write it down or never to remove the card that has the code on it.

Good luck. Enjoy your ride. Not many rides like it.

BudW
Old 09-02-2007, 09:19 AM

radio code

I had the same problem when I bought my 99 sl. If you are not close to a dealer you can call 1-800-for-mercedes (mbusa) and give them the vin, they gave me th code over the phone. good luck.