SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Oil leaking from Sunvisor hinge???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 SL500
Oil leaking from Sunvisor hinge???

Apparently I have a hydraulic leak of some sort that is causing oil to drip from the sun visor hinge molding. Both visors leak. Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? If so, what needs to be fixed and approximately how much?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
2dogs
Old 07-30-2006, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL000
your hydraulic cilinders are leaking,$300 + about two hrs labor
I had a couple used in good condition but sold them...
Old 07-30-2006, 05:43 PM

98 SL500
Hi V12...Thanks for the info. I'll take it in and let you know what happens.
Thanks,
2dogs
Old 07-31-2006, 12:09 AM

2003 SL500, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Originally Posted by TheV12pwr
your hydraulic cilinders are leaking,$300 + about two hrs labor
I had a couple used in good condition but sold them...
Old 07-31-2006, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL000
Originally Posted by detailas
Nice upgrade George!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by TheV12pwr
Nice upgrade George!!!

Thanks (for everything..)

George

++
Old 07-31-2006, 07:40 PM

SL320
i had this problem. Leak stopped after a short while and no problems since. can i expect the roof to go wrong anytime soon?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:24 PM

SL600 r230, SL600 r129,, SL500 r230, ML320, C280 Sport, 190e 2.3 16V (2)
Fais, I think you can expect a failure soon. Depending on how bad, you may get a lap-ful of hydraulic oil. Kepp a towel in your car so when it does let loose, you can wipe the oil up.

A new MB cylinder at an online parts house like buymbparts.com is about $140.00 delivered. These cylinders are EASY to replace.

Retract the top.

Remove the trim piece surrounding the latching mechanism for the top. It ios held in place with one phillips head screw. Once unscrewed, slid the trim piece towards the outside of the car, it may be stuck a bit.

Then slide the header, that those two trim pieces screwed through, by sliding it toward the rear of the car.

Now you'll see the cylinders. Pull back the retaining devices from the two hard lines, all the way off.

Remove the attachment screws and unscrew the piston from the latching asy.

Remove cylinder, from header and hydraulic lines.

Reinstall in reverse order.

The system self-purges any air in the system after a few cycles.

You may as well replace both cylinders - if one is leaking, the other will do so soon as well.

If you need oil, ONLY use OEM Mercedes Benz oil - it's about $11.00 per litre through places like buymbparts.com (I am only a happy customer of Rusty's - I am in no way affiliated, other than by the all the profit they made from me with my 6 older Benzes!) The reservoir is under the spare tire holder in the trunk. Fill it to between the lines on the reservoir.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:08 AM

You might want to check out following helpful link - with pics at the bottom:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...ix-begins.html

George

++
Old 09-28-2006, 05:32 PM

1994 SL500
thanks for all the good info; it got me almost all the way through this job. problem now is that i can't figure how to disconnect the cylinder piston from the latch assembly.

is this where the 7cm socket wrench comes in? if so i think i need a thinner one, since the one i have grips the round part of the piston not just the flat, tapered neck where it connects to the latch. or should I be removing the pin clip assembly that goes through the tapered part?

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-29-2006, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
Originally Posted by cgreenland
thanks for all the good info; it got me almost all the way through this job. problem now is that i can't figure how to disconnect the cylinder piston from the latch assembly.

is this where the 7cm socket wrench comes in? if so i think i need a thinner one, since the one i have grips the round part of the piston not just the flat, tapered neck where it connects to the latch. or should I be removing the pin clip assembly that goes through the tapered part?

any help would be greatly appreciated!
cgreenland,
The hydraulic cylinder is connected to the latch assembly with 2 Allen metric head screws. These are pretty well secured, so add some muscle to break torque on them to loosen. I'm assuming that by now you've removed the hydraulic lines from the cylinder by sliding off the retaining clips....don't lose them! Once this is done, use your 7MM wrench, and unscrew the cylinder piston shaft from the brass latch fitting.

With the cylinders removed, if you haven't purchased replacements already, you can send both of yours to:

Mr. Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, KS 66062
Tel: 913-390-0506
email: mainshipmed@sbcglobal.net

Dennis is a master machinist who rebuilds these cylinders. He did the front pair on my '99 SL500, first class work, rapid turnaround, and most important, no leaks after 2 months of top up and down about 20 times. Works like a new one! Dennis charges $30 @ cylinder + $10 shipping. So for the front pair it's $70 total. I do recommend doing both front cylinders whether the other side is leaking or not...it will.

Even if you did purchase new cylinders, knowing what I know now, I'd return them unused for a refund...you'll save a bundle and given the quality materials Dennis uses, mine really do work better than new.

Bob
Old 08-25-2007, 04:26 AM
Almost a Member!

SL500
Red face How do I know this guy is legit?

Originally Posted by BJonesFL
cgreenland,
The hydraulic cylinder is connected to the latch assembly with 2 Allen metric head screws. These are pretty well secured, so add some muscle to break torque on them to loosen. I'm assuming that by now you've removed the hydraulic lines from the cylinder by sliding off the retaining clips....don't lose them! Once this is done, use your 7MM wrench, and unscrew the cylinder piston shaft from the brass latch fitting.

With the cylinders removed, if you haven't purchased replacements already, you can send both of yours to:

Mr. Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, KS 66062
Tel: 913-390-0506
email: mainshipmed@sbcglobal.net

Dennis is a master machinist who rebuilds these cylinders. He did the front pair on my '99 SL500, first class work, rapid turnaround, and most important, no leaks after 2 months of top up and down about 20 times. Works like a new one! Dennis charges $30 @ cylinder + $10 shipping. So for the front pair it's $70 total. I do recommend doing both front cylinders whether the other side is leaking or not...it will.

Even if you did purchase new cylinders, knowing what I know now, I'd return them unused for a refund...you'll save a bundle and given the quality materials Dennis uses, mine really do work better than new.

Bob
Hello. I do need my cylinders rebuilt (or replaced), and would like to send them to Dennis, however, I wanted to know what my gaurantee was that I would recieve my cylinders back if I send them . Did you just trust him , or was there some kind of security prodedure? Just trying to be cautious (I really don't want to lose my cylinders if I can help it ). Has anybody else done this? Thanks for the info by the way !
Old 08-25-2007, 09:31 AM

SL600 r230, SL600 r129,, SL500 r230, ML320, C280 Sport, 190e 2.3 16V (2)
I sent cylinders to him. One even had the shaft scored. Still only charged the standard price. I sent him 4 cylinders. All returned and not leaking within 4 days from the time I sent them. Can't beat that service. I highly recommend him.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2000 SL500
Originally Posted by iamsuperchris
Hello. I do need my cylinders rebuilt (or replaced), and would like to send them to Dennis, however, I wanted to know what my gaurantee was that I would recieve my cylinders back if I send them . Did you just trust him , or was there some kind of security prodedure? Just trying to be cautious (I really don't want to lose my cylinders if I can help it ). Has anybody else done this? Thanks for the info by the way !
Dennis gets rave review from everyone that has used him. If you need a wealth of information please see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...er-system.html

You have several options-

1) Dennis @ $70.00
2) Two M-B p/n 129 800 1672 @ $120.00 each
3) INDY
4) Stealer - I have heard $1200.00 total

Last edited by lynns; 08-25-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Almost a Member!

SL500
Thank you!

Originally Posted by lynns
Dennis gets rave review from everyone that has used him. If you need a wealth of information please see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...er-system.html

You have several options-

1) Dennis @ $70.00
2) Two M-B p/n 129 800 1672 @ $120.00 each
3) INDY
4) Stealer - I have heard $1200.00 total
Thank you very much! Now that I have heard from multiple trustworthy people, I'll go ahead and give him a call. Any you live in Irvine? Maybe I've seen you driving around!

ONE MORE QUESTION:

As my SL500 is my only driveable car (My 51' ****** won't really do the job right), can I drive it without the cylinders in the windshield if I put the hardtop on? Basically, is it possible to latch the hardtop on without the cylinders in the windshield?
Old 08-25-2007, 02:18 PM

2000 SL500
Originally Posted by iamsuperchris
Thank you very much! Now that I have heard from multiple trustworthy people, I'll go ahead and give him a call. Any you live in Irvine? Maybe I've seen you driving around!

ONE MORE QUESTION:

As my SL500 is my only driveable car (My 51' ****** won't really do the job right), can I drive it without the cylinders in the windshield if I put the hardtop on? Basically, is it possible to latch the hardtop on without the cylinders in the windshield?
If this is your only car it might be wise to purchase your cylinders and do eveything in one morning or see if Dennis has a pair already done and can trade. May I suggest that you do a Hydraulic system fluid flush and renew after you replace the cylinders. The last time I checked http://www.oempartsdirect.com/index.php had the best online prices.

Last edited by lynns; 08-25-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
Originally Posted by lynns
If you pull the cylinders you will not be able to latch your hard top. If this is your only car it might be wise to purchase your cylinders and do eveything in one morning or see if Dennis has a pair already done and can trade. May I suggest that you do a Hydraulic system fluid flush and renew after you replace the cylinders. The last time I checked http://www.oempartsdirect.com/index.php had the best online prices.
Lynn,
I was under the impression that the latches could be locked down using the top wrench in the toolkit; would you please clarify?

Bob
Old 08-25-2007, 06:59 PM

2000 SL500
Originally Posted by BJonesFL
Lynn,
I was under the impression that the latches could be locked down using the top wrench in the toolkit; would you please clarify?

Bob
Bob, the more I think about it you are probably right. If you pull the cylinders I guess the latches are still available. Didn't you repair yours? I would defer this to you as I have not actually opened or repaired mine. You might call me an Arm Chair Mechanic and I may have made the wrong assumption.