SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Remote won't roll down windows

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote won't roll down windows

The manual says the remote key should roll down the windows if I keep it pressed on unlock, or it will roll the windows up if I keep it pressed when locking. I have replaced the batteries and re-synched the key following the procedure in the manual, but it still doesn't work. It will do it if the key is in the door lock and I hold it one way or the other, but not remotely. Any ideas?
Old 10-16-2007, 03:59 PM

CL500 and ML55
I believe you have to press unlock 3 consecutive times and hold down on the 3rd. That is the way my CL works anyways...
Old 10-16-2007, 05:49 PM

Thanks, I will give it a try
Old 10-20-2007, 01:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2000 SL500
Originally Posted by kingjnod
The manual says the remote key should roll down the windows if I keep it pressed on unlock, or it will roll the windows up if I keep it pressed when locking. I have replaced the batteries and re-synched the key following the procedure in the manual, but it still doesn't work. It will do it if the key is in the door lock and I hold it one way or the other, but not remotely. Any ideas?
I have a 2000 SL500 and mine works fine. Because it is an IR-Infared sytem we are dealing with light and line of sight. May I suggest that you try holding your remote IR about one inch from your driver door IR and hold it down until the doors unlock and the windows come down. Do not release until the windows are all the way down. Now, hold the remote one inch from the door IR and push the remote lock button and watch the doors lock and continue holding until the windows roll up. If this does not work you may need to replace the IR in the door if rolling up and down your windows is important to you. BTW, I hope you don't think that you can roll your windows up or down by holding the remote say two feet from the door. This is not possible. As I said before we are dealing with a limitation of IR and line of sight. I have also noticed that sometimes the system does not work as well in bright daylight.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM

1999 SL500
I have a 1999 SL and my comment mirrors Lynns' I took my car to the dealer and had it "checked out" for what I thought was a problem. The system works under ideal conditions. You simply have to be close to the IR receiver. It is either a design flaw or if you want to give Mercedes credit, it's a safety issue, that being not to be able to control the windows from far away. Me thinks I may be giving them too much credit
Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2000 SL500
FWIW, on my R107 I had bought the car with an aftermarket alarm in addition to the factory alarm. With the aftermarket I was able push the button from several feet away from the car and both windows wood raise to the full up position as well as lock the doors. This was NOT an IR system but worked great with the soft top down.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Make sure you are aiming the key at the driver door...this is the door that has the IR sensor and the only way to roll the windows down with the key...sometimes you have to press and hold the unlock button twice.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanks for all the tips but none have worked so far. I tried the "press 3 times" approach (didn't work). Next I tried with the remote about an inch from the IR receiver in the driver's door and that didn't work either. My wife's S class works from quite a few feet away. I only want it because I don't seem to have it. I have really never missed the feature. I can always put the key in the lock and hold it if I want the windows down before I enter the car.