SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 92 500SL soft top wont go down, Gauges don't work, roll bar wont go up.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 500SL
92 500SL soft top wont go down, Gauges don't work, roll bar wont go up.

Hello,

We have a 1992 500SL. Unfortunately, it had to sit in storage for a while and the battery went dead.

When we replaced the battery, she fired right up but many electronic things on the car didn’t work anymore.

The hardtop wouldn’t release, the windows went down but not back up again. Only the temp gauge worked in the cluster, nothing else.

We got the hardtop off manually and put up the soft top manually. The windows finally started working again but nothing else does.

I assume the computer is upset or something. We’ve checked all of the fuses and none are blown. Everything worked fine when we parked her.

Please help! Any Ideas?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 SL-300
Fuse replacement

I have had a similar problem and all it took was a simple trip to the local auto store to pick new fuses. Most MB fuses of that vintage are an aluminum variety. This being said they have a tendency to corrode when in contact with the copper fuse holder. I have also found replacement fuses that are made of copper to reduce the risk of future corrosion. I would strongly suggest replacing all the fuses and you find that your electronics will all begin to work properly. The fuse box for the top is located in the trunk, while the fuse box for the gauges are located under the hood.