SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Evaporator coils and power steering pumps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piper
Evaporator coils and power steering pumps

I have been looking for a '98-'01 SL500 and ran into a dealer who told me that these two items are big trouble. He said the coil will eventually need to be replaced at $4,000 and the pump is a couple of thousand. He also said the little motors in the windshield frame that lock the top down are very expensive, too.

What is your experience with these items? I hate to buy a $20K car for weekend use then have to put $5-8,000 into it.

Thanks.

Pilotguy
Old 11-23-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
Originally Posted by Pilotguy
I have been looking for a '98-'01 SL500 and ran into a dealer who told me that these two items are big trouble. He said the coil will eventually need to be replaced at $4,000 and the pump is a couple of thousand. He also said the little motors in the windshield frame that lock the top down are very expensive, too.

What is your experience with these items? I hate to buy a $20K car for weekend use then have to put $5-8,000 into it.

Thanks.

Pilotguy
Pilotguy,
A couple comments on what you wrote...

o Evaporator coils...eventually, at some point in the life of the car, it may need replacing, and it is true that it is an expensive job. I am unaware (perhaps others can comment) that they fail prematurely.

o Power Steering Pumps...same comment, but the price to replace or rebuild this pump is way over stated by the 'dealer' you reference.

o Little motors in the windshield frame....There are no little motors in the frame that latch down the top. The latches are hydraulic actuated, and yes, the seals in hydraulic cylinders that ultimately provide the force to latch/unlatch the top, do fail. These cylinders are repairable for $30@ + shipping from a great rebuilder.

If you want to avoid as many techincal, performance, and maintenance issues as practical for what you refer to as a weekend driver, I'd suggest you:

o Focus on a '99-'02 model as there was an engine change to the 113 model engine in '99, and it is simply a better/newer engine than it's predecessors

o Locate the best MB qualified Tech you can find locally to you, and go meet with him prior to looking at any more cars. If you don't know one, use this link to find a referral to a quality shop near you; you can search by state, town, county, using the search tool provided...

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...splay.php?f=14

o Meet with the Tech or Owner, tell him exactly what you're looking for (he'll know the good local cars available) and use him to perform any Pre-purchase inspections you'll need on other cars you may find; $125-$250@. These cars are way too sophisticated to 'trust your gut' on what may appear to be a good one, only to be deeply disappointed when you find out the facts about a car, not the sales pitch from a dealer or even another owner. Even if you have to spend $500-$1000 in inspections, you'll save yourself many thou$and$ in repairs.

Bob