SL/R129: Jumpstarted and now top only half-way works

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 500SL
Jumpstarted and now top only half-way works

I looked at all the stickys and searched but couldn't quite find what I needed.

Last month I had a new tranny put in my 95 320. The battery was dead when I p[icked it up and the ESP and some other light right next to it was on and the top would only go up halfway then stop. I took it to MB and they reset something and charged me one hundred somewthing dollars and all worked perfect since.

OK, today I let a friend use it in the Mardi Gras parade, so I removed the hardtop last night when I gave him the car and put the softtop up with no problem. He said this morning the top went down with no problem but when he brought the car back the top would only go halfway and the rollbar light on dash was lit and the ESP and other light was on. I think he must have ran the battery down and jumped the car. My question is is there a way to reste the whole system myself without having to bring it to the dealership?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Z
I looked at all the stickys and searched but couldn't quite find what I needed.

Last month I had a new tranny put in my 95 320. The battery was dead when I p[icked it up and the ESP and some other light right next to it was on and the top would only go up halfway then stop. I took it to MB and they reset something and charged me one hundred somewthing dollars and all worked perfect since.

OK, today I let a friend use it in the Mardi Gras parade, so I removed the hardtop last night when I gave him the car and put the softtop up with no problem. He said this morning the top went down with no problem but when he brought the car back the top would only go halfway and the rollbar light on dash was lit and the ESP and other light was on. I think he must have ran the battery down and jumped the car. My question is is there a way to reste the whole system myself without having to bring it to the dealership?
I believe there is re-set necessary that requires a specific reset tool...
Old 02-03-2008, 01:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2000 SL500
My question is is there a way to reste the whole system myself without having to bring it to the dealership?
No, your soft top controller needs another reset. I would call an Indy and ask how much. They need to do this with an advanced diagnostic code reader like the 'M-B STAR Diagnostic System'. Your battery may need replacing so I would make that decision before I paid for another reset.

BTW, you need to be very carefull when jumping the car so that you don't FRY the 'soft top controller' module or any other system electronics. This has been know to happen on numerous other R129's and you will be shocked at how much it could end up costing you if it happens.

Note: It has been suggested that you put a piece of duct tape on your battery with a label that says, "Do not Jump Start or Charge this battery without first contacting the owner."

Please read What to do with an R129 dead battery
Old 02-05-2008, 06:18 AM
Almost a Member!

92 500SL
It ended up being a brakelight switch fuse. Advisor said I should have went to Autozone. Cost me 97.52
Old 02-05-2008, 10:35 AM

It ended up being a brakelight switch fuse. Advisor said I should have went to Autozone. Cost me 97.52
Help me to understand: The battery drain was due to a bad fuse, which in turn caused the soft top not to work?

I know the wiring in these cars can be tricky, but I'm getting lost somewhere as I read your message as the bad brakelight switch fuse was directly related to the top not raising/lowering properly?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Almost a Member!

92 500SL
Originally Posted by AMGSport
Help me to understand: The battery drain was due to a bad fuse, which in turn caused the soft top not to work?

I know the wiring in these cars can be tricky, but I'm getting lost somewhere as I read your message as the bad brakelight switch fuse was directly related to the top not raising/lowering properly?
Car being jumpstarted was a guess on my part, only because the symptoms was exactly the same as last time my car was jumped.

ETS & ABS & Rollbar lights were on and the top would only raise half-way and stop.

MB claims they only read codes and replaced that fuse
Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Mercedes ml320
my abs light turns off when im driving at say 30mph,turn the engine off (whilst driving) then when i turn the engine on it all works apart from bas and esp.please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!