SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Winter Storage Precautions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz sl500
Winter Storage Precautions

It has been my practice to warehouse my (2) collector cars for as long as 6 months during the winter/cold months. The normal routine is to disconnect the batteries for the winter storage and reconnect them in the Spring.
With my recently acquired 1999 SL500 I suspect it will not be that simple.
If I have the battery disconnected or connected and say "dead "will I have a code problem when I try to put it back in service?
I know not to jump start it, but how long will the system retain its sequence information without a battery or with a low or dead battery?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 AM

ML 320, 1998
I don't think you will have a code problem, except for the Radio code.
The window and steering/ESP are easily reset.
Close the windows and hold the switch down for 5 additional sec.
Turn the steering wheel to full stop each way 2-3 times.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:38 AM

1999 Mercedes Benz sl500
Winter Storage Precautions

Thanks for the help.
My next problem was getting the radio code.
Believe it or not, I was able to get the code over the telephone from the MB dealership that had been servicing the car since new.
Jim
Old 09-21-2009, 08:49 PM

2000 SL 500 Black, 2001 Honda GL1800 Black, 2008 Chevy Tahoe SilverBirch
I was wondering what is recomended before storing 2000 SL500 1) Should oil be changed before or after being stored? 2) Is there anything that should be done with the brakes/rotors? 3) Any other recomendations?

Thanks!

Joe
Old 09-22-2009, 10:45 AM

1999 Mercedes Benz sl500
Winter Storage Problems

It depends upon your climate but if you are storing for just a few months (6mo or less) there is little if anything you need to do.
I usually disconnect the battery and cover the car.
It is also smart to make sure that the car is closed up tight. Mice and insects can be a problem. Mice don't like moth *****.
Good Luck,
Jim
Old 09-26-2009, 02:17 PM

ML 320, 1998
Hi JoeG.
I reckon you are following the recommended oil changes.
In that case I would leave the car as is & change the oil and filter when you start using the car.
Please also remember to change the transmision, diffirantial oil AND the oil for the top at max 50,000 miles, (in my opinion). A cheap and easy insurance.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 AM

1997 SL500 (R129)
Winter storage tips

Here's what I've learned from here and other M-B forums about winter-storing my 1997 SL500. Change the oil before putting it away -- you don't want grime and acids sitting in your engine all winter. Clean oil is a good investment.

Try to start it up every couple of weeks, or if not practical, and if you have a power source near the car, put a trickle charger on it to keep the battery going, so you won't have to deal with code problems if the battery dies. But if it does die, take the battery out and charge it, then replace it. Many owners recommend you never jump start or boost your Benz if the battery is dead -- too many expensive things you can fry.

Put a few cloves in small containers inside the car and in the trunk (better than stinky mothballs) to deter mice.

Put some steel wool in the ends of the exhaust pipes to keep critters out (they love small, safe, protected places to hide out). Put a note on your driver's seat to remind you to remove the steel wool before you start up your car again, or you might forget.

Cover the car with a quality, fitted cover, and keep it dry. Snow and rainwater can contain chemicals and acids that can damage the paint if they stay on the car for a long period of time.

Should you over-inflate the tires? The advice seems to be split 50/50 on this one. I did not, and didn't have any problem with flat spotting (with one-year old Pirellis) after five months of storage on a dry concrete floor.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:04 PM

1988 300E - Diamond Blue, 1997 SL320 - Black Opal
One other recommendation that I would add would be to lower the driver's side window about 1/4 inch. Without any power, when opening the door the automatic window lowering will not engage - potential risk in damage as the window will be fixed in to the roof seal.

For me, oil change in the spring.

Although my mechanic recommends doing a 3/4 oil change in the fall and then in the spring add the remaining oil before starting. He does not recommend frequent starting during the storage period, and from my research the professional storage agencies don't typically start cars during extended storage.

As for the battery - mine died during the winter. I did have code problems (soft top and roll over bar in the spring. Next winter it will be disconnecting the battery when it goes in to storage.

jb
Old 05-15-2010, 11:54 PM

sl600
Storage

I don't know about anyone else but I use a battery tender similar to the one on my motorcycle for winter storage works like a charm.

R.S.