SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Help please! Glass roof...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500 SL
Help please! Glass roof...

Hi! I will go to explain what is the situation of my glass roof.
I've winned an aution on Ebay Germany and I went to Germany to take it, THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THE HYDRAULIC LATCH POINTS, IT FITS PERFECTLY.
The only thing wrong is that when you run trere's a litte bit of wind noise in front of passenger seat and I don't test it in rain, but in my garden I try to wash the car, but I can't with the glass roof, cause in the left corner (just above the lights switch) enters a bit of Water.
I've read in another auction that there's a Rubber retrofit kit for the models previous of 1997.
My Benz dealer submit a request of this rubber, but Today I have a bad notice, THIS RUBBER COSTS 800 $!!!! INCREDIBLE!!! The Parts guy of my dealer has called me Shocked by this price!

I Don't know what to do, anybody knows any other option?, Ok, I've payed a lot of money for the roof, but I don't want to spend 800 $ for a rubber!!!
Old 05-02-2003, 06:35 PM

SL 500 AMG
Hi there, I've heard of that problem before and I know I read it on the SL forum 4 month or so ago, you may want to scroll down in to the 2002 links and some people had fixed it... good Luck...
Old 12-11-2003, 09:02 PM

500 SL
ATTN ALL!! Finally solved!

Ok Guys, I've the Absolute True. Don't listen the Benz dealers!

Ok, I've winned an auction on eBay for one used rubber of a normal '91 Hardtop, even that 3 benz dealers said me that I can't install the Panorama Roof in my '90 model, even that they told me that this normal hardtop rubber can't be installed in a Panorama Roof, even that first One of the dealers tell me that it was a rubber specially designed for the pano roof to install at early years model (that costs 800$) and after they said me that don't exists, even that in the 3 official dealers tell me that they won't to install this old rubber,

My regular mechanic has installed this old rubber, that costs me 60 $ and the Pano roof fits perfecly, with less wind noise at high speed that with the regular hartop and without any water leak in all the roof.

So, please, don't trust at your official dealers with this kind of problems. They don't look further than the screen of his computer!
Old 12-13-2003, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Did you get the exterior colour that matched your body colour? Or did you have to repaint the top metal trim?

How about the interior moldings ... the same as your original car?

Did you have a metal top before? Are you happy with the cange overall?

We love the panporama roof for the cold wet winter weather here.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:06 PM

500 SL
Very Happy Thank you!

HI
Yes, i've buyed the Pano Roof with silver outside colour, and I've repainted, no problem with this.
My car is black, so the result is perfect for me, cause in the exterior, seems the normal roof. This is good if you don't want that any envious guy makes his happy day breaking it.

The interior of the roof is in wine color, and my interior is grey, but the moldings are just the borders, so it's just an inconvenience, not a big problem.

I've the normal Hardtop too, but i love the Pano roof, the inconvenience is that now there are cheap new cars with this tipe of roof.

This roof change the entire sense of the car, cause its like if you go with a cabrio but in winter, the interior wins a 100%.

The change overall it's so good, I'm so happy with the whole change of the interior. The next week, I will post pics of it, with my news amg Exaust chrome ends.