SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Engine water drains leaking - please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 Mercedes 500SL
Engine water drains leaking - please help!

Hi all,

I have had an ongoing problem with my 1990 500SL during rainy seasons. Not only that - now it has started after a simple car wash by hand! Long story short, when the car gets wet, the engine cuts out completely after running / driving for a few meters. When the car is dry again, it's all fine. I have taken it the the workshop numerous times and they keep telling me "its not water, it's a problem with the engine which is too hard to detect since the problem is fine by the time it arrives at the garage". They replaced a few things here and there but the problem keeps coming back.

Over the last two weeks, very carefully studied the water drain channels in the engine and figured out that two of the rubber tubes right under the washer system are loose. One is completely out. This causes a fairly big (more thank half a litre) puddle of water over the wires under the fuse box (drivers side). I had to use a wet vacuum to suck it all up.

Took out as many parts as I could to reach the problem area but there is not enough room for my hands to pull up the rubber tube to join it with the plastic funnel type drain. To access it, I need to pull out the washer system (and goodness knows what else!). Not sure if I should do that myself or send it to the $hop.

Please would anyone have any technical drawings of the drain channels? As far as I can see, there are four channels under the hood - 2 on the sides near the wheel arches and two under the wiper system (with funnel and rubber tubes).

1. Does anyone know what I need to remove to gain access to the rubber tubes?
2. I tried searching the forum but couldn't find any information on the subject. I would also like to know if there are any other drain channels that route through the engine bay (eg from the roof).
3. Any other helps, videos, photos, drawing, advise that may help me?

Truly grateful for any help.

Thanks very much.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 Mercedes 500SL
Anyone?