SL/R129: 1994 600SL with stiff suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
600SL
1994 600SL with stiff suspension

Hello there Gurus of V12.
With few interruptions (rewiring ETA and MAF), I've been enjoying my 600sl for last 4 years. A year or so ago friend helped me to replace leaking o-ring on ADS distributor(self leveling valve). Unfortunately since then the ride got stiff . No difference between regular and sport setting. Replacing nitrogen spheres and bushings on the sway bar didn't make a difference. I get no fault codes and no light comes on the dash.
Should i be looking back the the valve or is this electrical issue? Can someone help me please?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
When my system was repaired, it was a greatly improved ride. I'm not sure what is not working for your car. Does the car body elevate when you drive over a pavement change? I noticed about a 3/4 inch change in the rear of the car when my car went over the driveway/garage floor lip. ( about an inch ) That bump set off the ride height adjustment that is part of the ride leveling system.
Klaus of Top Hydraulics is now rebuilding the ADS valve, so maybe he will jump into an answer.
When the ride is restored, it is wonderful! when it's broken...., Oh well it provides the better half another Tee off point about my hobbies and money pits! ;(
Old 09-11-2012, 01:06 PM

600SL
thanks for the feedback SRHSL600. Yes this car can deliver pleasure and pain at will.

We have a lot of speed bumps in out neighborhood and i use to glide over them with car completely leveled. Since that o-ring replacement the body raises as I go over the bumps. This is the most evident when one wheel is driving through the groove made for emergency vehicles (even with the pavement) and other wheel goes over the bump. Is this pointing to hydraulics ?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 PM

94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
the shock system has dampers with hydraulics, springs and the leveling system, so I agree the hydraulic aided damper is first on my list. How is the rebound of the body when you step on the bumper? ( shock absorber pressure ) How high is the body from the wheel well flair? ( how much cushion when static ) When my hydraulic system tubing was crushed by a "deer strike" the car sat lower by 2-3 inches. Each bump was directly felt, and cornering was like an AC bristol from the 60's! Smooth road was fantastic, but not too many miles of smooth in rural Kansas!
Where in the USA are you?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 PM

600SL
I'm in Arlington, VA. I wish i was closer to Kansas to be able to compare the rebound in person.
pressing any of four corners down is hard and it doesn't matter whether engine is running on not. Rebound in my opinion is little slow. not sure this is a good comparison but my wife's Mini "jumps" back instantly.
There is a 3" above the tire and I know for sure I can adjust it to any height with that adjustable arm between the valve and the sway bar.

How did you repair your suspension after deer encounter?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:52 PM

I trust life inside the "beltway" is good. I'm happy not to spend time at "Walter Wonderful" anymore!
The Kansas SL600 does not recoil, slight down, about 3/4 inch then back up. Tire space to fender flair, ( lowest metal edge to the center of the wheel rim star ) is about 14.75, front, 15.0 rear inches with the about 2" space as seen on the tire tread. I think the hydraulic system would be the first order for me.
I found a patient "indy" who enjoys working on a strange series of cars.
USAA stood behind the event and replaced tubing and seals. The rain drenched deer carcass flipped out from a semi and the Benz got on top of the tumbling mass and the underside of the vehicle got "hammer" type dents on everything on the underside. They didn't cover the tire, but did realign front and back suspension
Old 09-13-2012, 09:53 AM

600SL
just checked the distance to fender and is more or less identical to yours. I guess i'll be browsing the web for any info on the hydraulics.
pretty vivid description of the deer encounter. don't need the utube.