SL/R129: Plastic Rear Window Maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Plastic Rear Window Maintenance

Over the past three years, before we bought her, the plastic where folded on itself has been scratched to the point where it is not very clear.

Before I ask a detailer to try to fix it up ... I'd like some feedback on how you may have restored or maintained your soft top rear window.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
If it's physically scratched, there's not a lot you can do; the plastic also become brittle when cold, so never raise or lower the roof when it's cold.

I replaced the rear windows in my 129 last year ($450 US), alot less than a new roof ans they're fine. You should also be realistic about when to put the hard top on. it's important to protect the soft top from really bad weather and you should only ever clean it with plenty of water and a mild detergent and certainly nothing abrasive.

Some vendors claim to have a magic cleaner for plastic windows but my own remedy is just to clean gently and often.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To: blueSL

Thanks for the tip regarding cold weather soft top use.

Definitly a factor in most of Canada!

Not as much in Vancouver. Lots of rain here!

It is nice to have the panorama roof for the rainy months.

I'll probably just live with the condition, or let a detailer try to wax the dullness away as much as possible before buying a new rear window.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didnt know it was possible to replace just the rear windows and not the entire soft top. Was it difficult to do? what does it involve?

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
By cold, I didn't mean the sort of temperatures you get in most of Canada for months on end in the winter; I meant lowish single digit degrees celcius, say, 32 - 40 degress F; mine cracked on a fine spring morning when the temperature was about 4C, 39F.

You can indeed replace the rear windows if the rest of the soft top is in reasonable condition; the rear section can be removed separately which is alot easier than replacing the whole thing with alignment and tensioning problems. They take off the rear section and then stitch new windows in using a strange looking sewing machine.

A decent car trim shop should be able to do it. Mine was done in Reading in the UK by a company called Trimmania, cost $450 US which is about a third of the cost of replacing the whole thing.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I found a convertible top maintenance guide on the web:

Site address:
http://www.automotivedetailing.com/a...bletopcare.htm

A couple of lines extracted to do with plastic windows:

"However, if the window is made of plastic, special care must be taken as this material is easily scratched. I recommend using just a damp, clean chamois (no chemicals!) followed by a smooth (not terry) 100% cotton cloth, ideally flannel. (Note that most window cleaners are not recommended for clear plastic.) If there is heavy grime on the plastic window, use a cleaner specially designated for clear plastic."
"Clear plastic windows that are not so clear anymore can often be polished back nearly to their original transparency. Considering the cost of replacing this kind of window, not to mention the safety issue of driver visibility, the detailer can make a hefty profit on this type of service. There are clear plastic cleaners and polishes that, combined with careful use of a small-head random orbital polisher, can produce amazing results."

I'll just have to find a detailer familiar with these proceedures and suitable products.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Meguire's makes plastic cleaner and polish. Regular use keeps the plastic from getting dull and stiff. The window on my '66 Corvette is over 15 years old and it still looks great.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On the weekend I noticed that the cloudyness seems to be on the inside, where the top liner and the storeage compartment liner are in contact with the plastic when in the flouled away position.

The plastic does really seam to be scratched. Unless on a micro level.

I tried a weak liduid dishwasher / water solution to cut the buldup. That did absolutly nothing.

I hope that I will have some luck with a detailer.

Or I might stop in at a boat shop. They must deal with a lot of clear plastic.

I'll also hunt down some Mcguires products if I can.

A work in progress.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by ChrisB
On the weekend I noticed that the cloudyness seems to be on the inside, where the top liner and the storeage compartment liner are in contact with the plastic when in the flouled away position.

The plastic does really seam to be scratched. Unless on a micro level.
Exactly. Micro scratches.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:07 AM

1992 Mercedes 300E
I've looked into this a bit, and here is my experience:

The scratches are definitely on the inside, and they come from the window rubbing on the rollbar/windscreen when raising and lowering the top. Also, be careful of how you treat it. Never clean with squegee and never use paper towels!!

I've used the Maguires plastic cleaner - I wasn't impressed. Other people rave about it but it didn't do much for me. Maybe I didn't rub enough. I have been using Plexus with microfober cloth on mine:

http://www.properautocare.com/plexus.html

Plexus works well after washing to make it much clearer, but it will not remove the haze of fine scratches. I've heard that (believe it or not) hazelnut paste will do the trick, but since I have no idea where to get that, Griots (http://www.griotsgarage.com) makes a plastic polish that is supposed to work well. I couldn't find the plastic polish on their site but it is listed in their printed catalog. Costs is like $9.95US. If anyone tries it I'd love to hear feedback as I am thinking of ordering some. But I do recommend Plexus applied with a microfiber cloth as a good (worth the money) cleaner.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by Santron
I've looked into this a bit, and here is my experience:

The scratches are definitely on the inside, and they come from the window rubbing on the rollbar/windscreen when raising and lowering the top. Also, be careful of how you treat it. Never clean with squegee and never use paper towels!!

I've used the Maguires plastic cleaner - I wasn't impressed. Other people rave about it but it didn't do much for me. Maybe I didn't rub enough. I have been using Plexus with microfober cloth on mine:

http://www.properautocare.com/plexus.html

Plexus works well after washing to make it much clearer, but it will not remove the haze of fine scratches. I've heard that (believe it or not) hazelnut paste will do the trick, but since I have no idea where to get that, Griots (http://www.griotsgarage.com) makes a plastic polish that is supposed to work well. I couldn't find the plastic polish on their site but it is listed in their printed catalog. Costs is like $9.95US. If anyone tries it I'd love to hear feedback as I am thinking of ordering some. But I do recommend Plexus applied with a microfiber cloth as a good (worth the money) cleaner.
Never tried plexus but meguires works well for me. It is a 2 part cleaner and polish product sold seperately.

Where did you hear about hazelnut paste? I've heard of crazy home remedies before but his one is nuts!
Old 08-07-2003, 01:35 AM

1992 Mercedes 300E
Yeah, I know. I actually wouldn't have given it much creedence either until I read (sometime later) about another plastic ploish and the primary ingredient was....yes...hazelnuts.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by Santron
Yeah, I know. I actually wouldn't have given it much creedence either until I read (sometime later) about another plastic ploish and the primary ingredient was....yes...hazelnuts.
I shouldn't find it surprising since we used to sell walnut shells to makeup companies.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rubbing on the rollbar ... makes sence ... I had not thought of that.

Once getting a fix implemented for the trasparancy, I wonder if a flannel or micro fiber cloth wrap on the roll bar (of some sort with out looking tacky) may cut down on the reoccurance.