SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Can't lock the hard top on a 92 500SL.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL 600,2002 M3,1993 Vette!
Can't lock the hard top on a 92 500SL.

we have to lock the soft top manually because of leaky hyd. cyl.
which works well using the MB wrench but when we try to lock in the hard top we cannot get the rear to lock in place.

We have tried it about 10 times and gave up.

the soft top locks in without a problem.

Any ideas we can try. The tabs do not appear to be bent.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 AM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Exclamation Manual soft top and hard top locking is designed for emergencies

horrible,

the hard top is harder to lock than the soft top - the seals are designed to be firmer. Thus, if your rear locks are wearing out some from repetitive emergency locking, it will be all the harder to lock the hard top down.

Let's check the basics, though:
1) Is the ignition off?
2) Are the rear prongs making it into the rear locks? If so, then you should be able to move the rear locks. It is not possible to move the rear locks down without something pushing down on the inside, meaning the prongs from the top.

If you can move the rear locks but you cannot move them down all the way, then we are down to a need for adjustment. I am hesitant to suggest putting spacers under the rear prongs or changing their position, because I am assuming that the top was once operational in exactly this setting.

If you cannot move the rear locks and the ignition is off, then the hard top needs to be seated differently so that the prongs will be able to enter the rear locks. The last resort is adjusting the rear prongs by loosening the star bolts and sliding the prongs. Again, I am hesitant to recommend this, and would caution you to mark the original position first.

The point that is bothering most readers: why not fix the hydraulics? It would be a good investment on your son's '92 to have the hydraulics working, because he can remove and replace the cylinders himself and the rebuild/upgrade service is very affordable. Frequent manual use of the locks will wear them out and create additional cost and frustration, whereas a working top that you can trust is a joy to have and significantly raises the value of the vehicle.

I am attaching a location diagram of all cylinders below.

Here are the DIY instructions for inspection, removal, and replacement of all cylinders in the R129 SL:

Front locking cylinders 1298001672: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129...%20Removal.pdf
Storage cover locking cylinders 1298000072: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129...0Cylinders.pdf
Tonneau cover lift cylinders 1298002072: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129...0Cylinders.pdf
Rear lock cylinders 1298002172: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129...%20Removal.pdf
Bow extension cylinders 1298001772 and 1248000272: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129...%20Removal.pdf
Main drive cylinders 1298000272: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/R129...%20Removal.pdf

By the way, if your 2002 M3 is a convertible, then we will be conversing about its hydraulic cylinders sooner or later, same as the ones in your R230...

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

Last edited by Top Hydraulics; 03-06-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 PM

Thumbs up Hard top lock down problems!

Klaus,
First let me thank you for the fast response and all the great info.
I just called to talk to you but you weren't available.

I spoke with robin and he suggested We remove the locks on the 92 and send them in to your company.

Also, we have another problem with a 97 SL 500 my son just purchased.
This one is just the opposite of the 92 500SL.

On the 97 the right rear lock will not release (again,no hyd.) so we can't even
look at the soft top.

I sold the M3 and I hope your wrong about the 230 having problems.

We will be talking with you about repairs to the hydraulics on the 92 & 97.

Again, Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 AM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Exclamation All modern convertibles will eventually develop hydraulic leaks

Originally Posted by horrible
I spoke with robin and he suggested We remove the locks on the 92 and send them in to your company.
Sorry that I wasn't available when you called, but I'm glad that you decided to take the bull by the horns. I am sure that Robin's suggestions were well founded after hearing your description over the phone - he used to own a '92 500SL himself, and he witnesses on a daily basis how people keep coming back until all cylinders have been upgraded.

Also, we have another problem with a 97 SL 500 my son just purchased.
This one is just the opposite of the 92 500SL.

On the 97 the right rear lock will not release (again,no hyd.) so we can't even
look at the soft top.
The design of the rear locks has changed during model year '95. They can still be locked and unlocked manually, but it is more involved. Please use the following guide for manual locking and unlocking: http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/maunuallockhardtop.pdf

I will add some pictures below that illustrate access to the rear latches and the manual activation of the rear locks in model years '95 and up.

I hope your wrong about the 230 having problems.
EVERY modern convertible eventually develops leaks on the convertible top hydraulic cylinders. We are upgrading cylinders for over 20 brands now! It is a shame that the manufacturers consistently use inferior seals for the convertible hydraulics. The interesting part is, the seals used in the roll bars (safety equipment) are almost of the quality of Top Hydraulics' seals.

The R230 is no exception; it uses almost the same seals as the R129. We are already upgrading full sets of R230 hydraulic cylinders from cars in hot climates. Typically, the front lock cylinder 2308000872 is the first one to fail, followed by the trunk lid cylinder 2308001372 and the trunk frame cylinders 2308000972 and 2308001072.

The reason that the seals are failing faster in hot climates, is that the decay of the seals is a chemical reaction. That reaction is accelerated by heat. Also, water outside or inside the cylinder will drastically accelerate the decay of OEM seals. Top Hydraulics' seals are water resistant.

One advantage that Mercedes owners can enjoy over almost all other convertible brands out there, is that the hydraulic lines are made of an excellent material, much like Top Hydraulics uses, and that the hoses are routed such that there is practically no abrasion leading to failure. Imagine owning a Saab convertible where the lines decay and Saab does not supply parts any more...

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Attached Thumbnails Can't lock the hard top on a 92 500SL.-rear-lock-instructions-1.jpg   Can't lock the hard top on a 92 500SL.-rear-lock-instructions-2.jpg  
Old 03-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Hyd Locks!

Klaus,
Again, A very big thank you!

Talk with you soon
Horrible