SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Right Front headlight trim ring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedez 1995 SL500 r129, 1967 Camaro RS Convertible, 1971 Corvette Stingray T Top
Wink Right Front headlight trim ring

Has anyone replaced the plastic headlight trim ring on the right front headlight" I just bought a new trim ring and need some experienced advice on installing it. Thanks

Last edited by Chetter; 03-18-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
I evaluated that rim for LED running light placement, but did not because of space and weather seal issues. The install for the entire lamp, glass and mounting flanges made full replacement a better finish. In my experience old plastic ain't plastic, anymore
Where in the world are you?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 PM

Mercedez 1995 SL500 r129, 1967 Camaro RS Convertible, 1971 Corvette Stingray T Top
Ahoy SRHsl600.... I have purchased a new right front headlight trim ring and took a quick look at replacing the old broken one, and it appears that I will need access to the rear of the light assembly, therefore, out needs to come the windshild washer fluid tank? What do you think?

Do you have any suggestions for fixing my "Lamp Out" warning light on the dash? Problem appears when I execute turn signals.... left or right... the yellow "Lamp Out" lignt on dash comes on and stays on until Ignition is turned off. Turn ignition on again and yellow lamp stays out until a turn-signal is initiated.?????

My location is Brooklyn, MISSISSIPPI..... down near the coast.

Chetter sends
Old 03-18-2013, 12:50 PM

Mr. eurotec at JustAnswer suggested I remove the "Lamp Control" and "Combination Relay" and inspect the terminal connections..... also apply dielectric grease to contact points. Any comments here?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM

Got that sucker replaced yesterday. Took about an hour. The most challenging part was evaluating the process before each action in an attempt to not damage or destroy something else during the process of replacement. Went like this.... remove the windshield washer tank, remove the right park/turn signal fixture which was easy by pressing a release tab in the back of the fixture, remove the old trim by removing 3 screws.... 2 on the outboard and 1 on the inboard sides, remove the lower trim strip with 1 screw near the radiator, loosen1 screw at the parking light end, release 2 clips at the top and 2 at the bottom of the ring, remove the rubber seal by pulling out the center part and removing the pin.... stop, take a break and look over what you have done. Carefully install the new ring. Word for all DIYers dealing with lights... always have DIELECTRIC GREASE on hand to apply to each lamp pin and socket, and each bulb and socket.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:51 PM

sl500 1995
Look it over; pull back the rubber - gentle with all. I replaced mine and it is easy if you go slow. All front accessible and no real issues. Just take some time to inspect and make a game plan.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
glad your light ring install went well. properly connected electrical contacts are always good and often overlooked. The torpedo fuses are often a problem. I replaced all of the fuses with a copper clad ceramic fuse and cleaned the contacts with a fine sand paper.
I will try the dielectric medium, too.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 PM

1995 SL500
Originally Posted by Chetter
Got that sucker replaced yesterday. Took about an hour. The most challenging part was evaluating the process before each action in an attempt to not damage or destroy something else during the process of replacement. Went like this.... remove the windshield washer tank, remove the right park/turn signal fixture which was easy by pressing a release tab in the back of the fixture, remove the old trim by removing 3 screws.... 2 on the outboard and 1 on the inboard sides, remove the lower trim strip with 1 screw near the radiator, loosen1 screw at the parking light end, release 2 clips at the top and 2 at the bottom of the ring, remove the rubber seal by pulling out the center part and removing the pin.... stop, take a break and look over what you have done. Carefully install the new ring. Word for all DIYers dealing with lights... always have DIELECTRIC GREASE on hand to apply to each lamp pin and socket, and each bulb and socket.
Thanks! I needed that. My search on the topic took me straight to your post. Will follow your directions step by step. Have to do both sides on mine. Again, thanks!
Old 01-12-2015, 02:41 AM

2000 sl500
don't forget to clean the rubber and the area around it
Attached Thumbnails Right Front headlight trim ring-img_9802.jpg  
Old 07-27-2015, 07:10 AM

1996 Mercedes-Benz SL500
Headlamp trim retainers?

I'm in the process of replacing both headlamp doors on my '96 SL500. The rubber trim piece attached to the door is held in by small plastic pins. Most (all) of mine are either broken or missing. Does anyone know the part number for these retainers? Where can I get some? .

The lower rubber on the painted trim piece (the one the wiper arm protrudes through) is held in place with rubber pins. I can’t get the pins to stay in the holes! What is the trick?

I'm going to install LED's all the way around the headlamp itself. Where did you get your LED headlamp doors? How much were they? What electrical wires did you hook them into?

As long as I am on the subject: I have also removed all the hydraulic cylinders and sent them to Top Hydraulics for rebuild. Is there a source for all the interior panel clips / pins / retainers? There are several missing / damaged that I would like to replace.

Thanx guys, You have already been a great help!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:56 AM

1996 Mercedes-Benz SL500
I just got my headlamp 'doors' replaced. While I was at it I went ahead and put LED's between the headlamp and the door lens to get the 'Angle Eye' or 'Halo' effect. Here is what it looks like:

Really cheap to do if you can work with electrical wires. I just put a strip of LED's around each headlamp and tied them into the side marker lights!

BTW: Does anyone know where I can get the missing tow hook cover? It looks like she is missing a tooth!