SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: soft top problem 1991sl 500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes sl500 1991
Angry soft top problem 1991sl 500

Hi, Can anyone help i have a problem with my soft top,will only go up to half way,windows and roll bar ok,no problems with hard top,when trying to go up it makes a resuonding click when vertical then stops red light still on,everything ok in reverse from there i .e. putting it down,appreciate any help thankyou
Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 PM
SPONSOR

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Originally Posted by migelito60lm
Hi, Can anyone help i have a problem with my soft top,will only go up to half way,windows and roll bar ok,no problems with hard top,when trying to go up it makes a resuonding click when vertical then stops red light still on,everything ok in reverse from there i .e. putting it down,appreciate any help thankyou
migelito60lm,

welcome to the forum! Where are you located? You will find people more willing to help if you put a little more effort into your post by forming proper sentences. That makes it easier for everyone who is trying to learn something from your post.

The problem you are describing is typical for the micro switch on the left bow extension cylinder not working properly. Have you replaced your soft top recently, or has anyone worked on the left bow extension cylinder? See the image below for all hydraulic cylinders in your convertible top.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes sl500 1991
SL 500 Soft Top problem

HI KLAUS,
Thankyou very much for your prompt response,i reside in SPAIN on
the Costa Blanca near Alicante,sorry my question was not succint enough here are the facts,I bought my SL from an expat Brit,it had been garaged for 5yrs, I first had to remove the hard top manually because of dust and accumulated dirt,however after doing this the Hard Top functions perfectly well electronically it was only when i tried to put the soft top up that i encountered the problem i mentioned, when trying to close it stops half way at vertical with a solid click,and when lowered everything else functions perfectly well,the windows go up automatically and the roll bar does too,I hope this is more clear, i have checked the hydraulic fluid in the bootwell and this is ok too,i hope this is more usefull to you,once again thankyou very much Miguel