SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Risks buying a 15-yr old SL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500SL
Risks buying a 15-yr old SL?

I'm looking at buying a 1994-1998 SL. The few I have looked at have about 120K miles. Cosmetically, they look great, but don't have any idea about the mechanics. I'm no car expert by any stretch of the imagination. The cars are about $6K, so the risk seems small. However, am I just getting myself into a money pit here? I know I'm not sharing many details about the cars, but I don't know them yet. I'm just trying to figure out if they are worth pursuing. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Your query is quite vague and diverse for the possibilities of answers. V12? 8- or 6-cylinders? Options? In the broad sense, some things to look for are... '94-'95 engine harness. Do a search and you'll read the horror stories. V12 - People either love 'em or hate 'em. Costly to maintain, but they kick butt for the 'Wow' factor. They are not for the faint of heart, though. If you are thinking of snagging an R129 for a song, chances are you'll pay more than you think/plan. There are excellent examples out there. But most who have the excellent ones, don't want to part with 'em. So expect something to be fixed. Engines are generally good if oil changes have been done religiously. ADS can be problematic, if not maintained. Front end bushings and such are probably in need of replacement. Interior may look good, but inspect the leather stitching carefully; the leather may look sewn together but may actually be separating. Condition of soft top? Does it even rise and stow properly? Hydraulic cylinders may be in need of attention. Hard top? Does the example come with one? And does it fit properly? Sometimes, the hard top doesn't latch up correctly, especially if the top is of a difference model year. Tough to explain but true.

Is the 129 a POS? NO! But a 15-year old car, if not properly maintained, will need work. And Mercedes are not cheap. If you are not willing to sink - potentially - serious cash into the car, I would consider a different brand, IMHO. I own an R129; a V-12 model. They are not cheap. But examples that are maintained well, even daily drives, still turn heads. Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1998 SL500
Any vehicle that is 15+ years old will be a money pit, add 120k miles on a car that cost the best part of $100k when new and the pit gets a bit deeper and broader.

If you can turn the wrenches yourself basic parts are not that expensive, however if you will have to pay someone else to do it think long and hard about what you are getting into. As you expressed concern about the money-pit aspects I could not recommend buying one as a daily driver/commuter vehicle--get a nice used Corolla for that.

Being retired mine is a garage queen toy--as close as I will ever get to a $100k car--in the first 7 weeks of ownership I have spent about $750 on shop manuals, rebuilding a couple of hydraulic cylinders, replacing headlight surrounds, replacing the power steering pump shaft seal (a whopping $12 for the seal kit), replacing various broken trim pieces and a few specialty tools. Another $250 to $300 will have things like new--until the next thing breaks.

I drove my 2003 Mustang GT five times last year, a grand total of 870 miles, the SL500 will no doubt see more than that (I drove Miatas for years and really wanted a rag-top), maybe 3500 this year. My plan is that this will be the last car I own, so it only has to last another 10 to 15 years/30k mlies anyway...
Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 and 2002 SL 500, 2014 E550 Convertible
Originally Posted by mattrunge
I'm looking at buying a 1994-1998 SL. The few I have looked at have about 120K miles. Cosmetically, they look great, but don't have any idea about the mechanics. I'm no car expert by any stretch of the imagination. The cars are about $6K, so the risk seems small. However, am I just getting myself into a money pit here? I know I'm not sharing many details about the cars, but I don't know them yet. I'm just trying to figure out if they are worth pursuing. Thanks!
As mentioned above..if you are mechanically inclined...decently...then most any car is worth buying..IF, IF you also have all the repair manuals!
You obviously would save money doing it yourself and get the pride and joy of doing it yourself.
I am repairing/replacing a fender, hood and bumper...sub out the painting part..and installing them myself. Saves me around 400 bucks!
I tell folks..just because I own a Mercedes does not mean I can afford it!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Do you have money? no, lots of money!
I would not enter this arena if you don't have resources. skills, tools, friends, understanding family and did I mention money?
I have had several three pointed star vehicles, as well as other distinct vehicles. I enjoy the tasks, but the R 129 is along way from a toy with a future payback.
I would buy the later year model, get away from the harness problem. I went for top of the line but have not run the tires off the 600, because Kansas has a speed limit, so the engine difference is moot.
Good luck with your new toy.