SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: New to site

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 SL 500
New to site

Hi have recently purchased a 1996 sl 500 and was visiting site and saw an old post asking how to get the codes to flash so they can be read. Just had a check engine lite come on and I am to get an idea as to why. Do I have to have a code reader or will the car tell me if I know where to look? The car runs fine and from what I gather could be a simple gas cap issue.
thanks
dan
Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM

1996 SL 500
Hi how many o2 sensors are on 96 sl 500 and is this something I could do myself without special toals?If I am buying off line are boch my best choice for replacement parts?
thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Originally Posted by dan_nordquist
Hi how many o2 sensors are on 96 sl 500 and is this something I could do myself without special toals?If I am buying off line are boch my best choice for replacement parts?
thanks
If memory serves, there is 1 O2 Sensor before (upstream) each cat and 1 after (downstream) each cat. Thus, with dual exhaust, you'll need 2x before and 2x after sensors. There is a special wrench adaptor that really makes the task easy. The special socket can be had at any reputable auto parts store. If possible, try to get Bosch replacements. They're readily available, though may not necessarily be in-store stock. Easy change-out task; just get the car high enough to get clearance and leverage underneath. And always, safety first - use good-quality jack stands. Good luck.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 08-27-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Since you have not entered your location in your profile, I will answer, as if you are in Kansas!
The CEL can be on for several reasons. Many auto parts stores can take a code read for you.
In 96 and newer, the reader is the OBD2 and connects in the ECU diagnostic port. ( passenger side of the engine bay near the hood hinge. ) If I am doing the work or diagnosis, I open the engine hood to full vertical ( depress the metal tab on each side of the hinges, and the surface can go to a more full, locked open position. )
When the engine compartment is open full you can see and access the fuses, reader port, cabin air filter etc.
Good luck with your search. my CEL is most often set off by the MAS that sets off the light when the air intake has dirty air! Since we both live in Kansas that can be a frequent problem. ( and no I will not replace that part again! )
Good luck with your adventure, and welcome to Kansas!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 PM

1996 SL 500
Hi
Thanks for the replies I am not in Kansas I am in Canada on the west coast in Kelowna Bc. I will have to fiqure out how to up load pic and update profile.
I have traced cel to a rear o2 sensor so I am more relaxed about the light. I am now on a search for sensors. Locally price is $135. can. and up so am consindering online purchasing. Some of the fun of owning of this type of car, is returning it to as close as show room as you can and I am not in the tax bracket that lets me drop it off at the dealership and come back and write a cheque I have to learn all I can and use the best parts at the best price. The car I have is in great cosmetic shape and I believe is mechanical sound so I have a good start. Any information regarding the best choice of parts I should use when servicing would be helpful. The best price is not always the best choice. This is a special automobile and I want to respect that without being foolish with my money. The car has 154000 KM (95000 Miles) any advice as to where I should start looking for items that should be servieced?
thanks
Dan