SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Anyone changed fenders/wings?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 R230 (Sold) 2000 SL Edition 320
Anyone changed fenders/wings?

I am quite tempted to change myself due to rust issues. In researching this, I see a black bracket which appears to be pop riveted on. This part sits behind where the lower plastic body moulding is on the fender/wing. You can see the bracket behind the plastic body moulding still attached to the fender/wing in the first picture

Some R+R's I've seen fail to mention this part, I also then wonder where the bottom part of this bracket attaches or hooks on to.

Any help appreciated thanks

Not rushing into this job until I am sure exactly what is involved. Even if not painting the new wing/fender, I think a person must consider painting the inside of the panel where it would be seen when the door is open and also some precautionary paint protection of the inside of the panel/arch lip seems sensible, so all told, not quite as easy a job as it may first seem/

I am not deterred yet though!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone changed fenders/wings?-r129-wing.jpg   Anyone changed fenders/wings?-r129-fender-parts-3.gif  

Last edited by silver50; 10-15-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
I have never taken off any fender on my SL but that should not be any difficult i think.
You have to take off the inner plastic fenders and the front bumper

The most work will be when you put the fender back on when you have to align the fender towards the doors and hood to get an even gap

One time i took off a fender on a car i had i used a marker pen and drew around the washers to the bolts that attaches the fender to the body and when i put it back on i just had to place the washers/bolts inside the circles i had marked and that made it really easy
But this only works if you are putting back on the same fender off course

I wonder if you can do me a favor by taking pictures of the inside of the front fender above where it meets the front bumper as shown in the picture

I have got a rust spot i need to cut out and weld in new metal and if you can take a picture of the area marked in red of the inside of the fender i will see if there is a double plate of metal there as somebody told me
I belive and hope that there only is on metal plate because of the repair i have to do

I have sent you a PM with my email address
Attached Thumbnails Anyone changed fenders/wings?-forskjerm-fra-ebay-merket-med-r-d-firekant.jpg   Anyone changed fenders/wings?-sl-forskjerm-fra-forumet-red-red-circle.jpg  

Last edited by TheSaint; 10-16-2013 at 12:21 PM.