SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: SL500*'97*Battery*light/BAS*ASR*light*+*limp*mode!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R129 SL500
SL500*'97*Battery*light/BAS*ASR*light*+*limp*mode!

I've got a '97 R129 SL500 and got the following issue. I have searched the threads but nothing seems to match exactly what i'm seeing!

So, some context is that since i got the car last May, on just a few occasions, the gearbox gets caught in one gear - sometimes it is in 3rd but other times it appears to be 2nd. I'm sure when this happens i've also seen the BAS ASR light too, at least on one occasion. This issue tends to clear itself after i've turned ignition off and left it ... and then restarted. If i switch to manual when this happens, it also doesn't change gear.

Anyway, recently, I needed a new battery and one was fitted and all worked fine. Then, as i haven't used the car for a few weeks (and haven't got trickle charger - I have now!) it went flat. So, I took the battery out, bought a charger and charged it up. Car started fine but I noticed that the battery light and BAS ASR light came on when i gave it some revs (i.e above idle). When dropped off to idle, lights disappeared. Upon test drive, I noticed the gear box was caught in a single gear again.... 3rd (limp mode?). Went home, switched off and tried again. This time, when i went out for a drive, gearbox was working ok and BAS ASR gone out. But Batt light still glowing above idle.

Next time i went out and in subsequent attempts, i've now got Batt light and BAS ASR lights on, even on idle! And gearbox now appears to be stuck in a lower gear ie 2nd.

Seems odd that it was fine before battery discharged?! Cruise control works and I tried the steering wheel alignment technique that i'd read about. When charging, battery reading is at least 12.5V.

Any ideas fellow forum members? Two co-incidental issues or linked?

Advice appreciated!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
battery drain, whats that about? I would correct that first, because it may be an overriding issue.
The lighted dash is your vehicle way of telling you to get help from the diagnostic world ( OBD II code reader ) that will direct your repairs to the correct module, system part or adjustment. I enjoy buying parts and randomly replacing, but many in the forum actually want to spend the money with purpose and results!!!
Good luck.