SL/R129: ESP Sytem Explanation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
ESP Sytem Explanation

I have seen some responces as to the value of the ESP systems on this forum.

I have not played enough under consistent conditions to say for sure. However the times I have felt ESP intervene at higher speeds ... I thinkk that I was on the verge of being out of control under non ESP control.

I found an interesting web site that demonstrates the systems Bosh has designed and implemented for european cars like MB, Audi, etc.

The web site has several animated and video clips with explanations and illustrations of how ESP stsyem monitors and intervenes to help control the car's motion.

http://www.kraftfahrzeugtechnik-heu...ndex_aktion.jsp

The notion of compairing steering wheel position to rate of horizontal rotation is pretty cool.

How does the system measure the car's horizontal rotation around the car's axis or center of gravity? Gyroscopes?

The explanation of the verge of loosing control on a 300 ft diameter circular path ... dry vs wet pavement ... ESP vs non ESP is interesting as well. I can't wait to set up a skid pad some day and play around.

Apparanty pre 1995 SL500 (and S and CL) models do not have this ESP system. Sorry guys. Pre 1997 other models do not either.

Last edited by ChrisB; 12-13-2003 at 02:46 AM.