SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Water leaking in SL320 (Front side windows)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
Water leaking in SL320 (Front side windows)

My Sl320 '96 is leaking water in when either raining or has been raining with either the soft top up or the hard top on.

Sometimes I get in the car to find small drops or near puddles on the drivers seat and down the side on the seal and/or the passenger seat/seal area.

I believe the problem is the rubber seals around the glass, but on both the soft and hard tops???

Anyone know a simple solution to this problem or is it a case of getting these rubber seals renewed as this can be embarressing and annoying as the water seems to collect in the rubber seals attached to the windshield and drips as the car moves or worse when going up or down hills.

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks

Kevin
Old 02-10-2004, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
When I first drove with the soft top last year (car is new to me) there was a lot of wind noise next to my ear ... about a 1/8" gap between the window and the seal.

The hard top had sealed just fine before that. I thought the soft top framing was out of kilter. But no MB can not easily adjust that.

Durring annual maintenance/extended warranty inspection, I mentioned this to the dealer. They were able to adjust the window travel path to create a seal.

Now that the hard top is on again for the winter, the hard top still seems to seal fine under normal situations.

Last week, at a hand car wash, I did notice for the first time ever, that water pressure sprayed on the side window leaked in at a slow rate on that window.

Next, when going through the wrinse section ... water just flooded in. I had napkins in hand and cold not keep up with the inflow.

I have still never seen any leak with just rain, light or heavy, under normal driving or parking situations.

The point being ... there is adjustents that can be made without replacing the seals. I don't know if ypou cpould access and do it youself trial & error.

Last edited by ChrisB; 02-10-2004 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I'd caution against adjusting the windows. They are a nightmare to adjust because they are frameless and you have to take the door panel off. Important thing is to establish where it's leaking. Get in the car and have someone play a hose on the car and see where the water is coming in. When you know for sure, then you can decide what to do about it, but trial and error is not going to fix it.