SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Transmission Leak (Remanufactured Unit)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500SL
Transmission Leak (Remanufactured Unit)

My local Mercedes Benz dealer repair facility installed a remanufactured transmission, a new torque converter, and a new fly wheel on my 1992 500SL.

Since then I’ve taken the car back to the dealer twice due to small leak on the floor from hydraulic fluid from the remanufactured transmission. I picked up the car after a week at the dealer: the transmission filter pan gasket, front pump gasket, and other rings, and seals were also replaced.

Today after pulling out of the garage I noticed the same drip pattern of pink hydraulic fluid; it seems to come from the filter pan. I called very annoyed at the dealer, and they are now going to dedicate a “transmission expert” to evaluate the problem.

I was under the impression that the remanufactured transmission came sealed from factory. Why would the need to replace seals and gaskets so soon.

Has anyone experience similar problems with transmission fluid leaks. I am concern if an actual remanufactured transmission was installed, or maybe they just rebuilt my old transmission.

Is there any way to determine if a remanufactured transmission was installed?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'88 300E, '91 300Sl
I had a similar problem with my '88 300e. I pulled the transmission and replaced the pump seals, front seal and the pan gasket and it leaked worse than before. I then noticed it was leaking from one of the banjo fittings that go to the radiator. It was cracked at the joint where the fitting meets the pipe. I ended up having my father silver soldering it ( the only thing available at the time ) No leaks since.