SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Convertible top care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2002 G500, 1961 190b, 2001 SL500 Sport
Convertible top care

I bought my SL almost a year ago. It had two torn out corner windows. I didn't realize at the time they couldn't just sew those back in. So I got a new top. I went with a silver color instead of black.

It's a little wet in this picture because I just sprayed it off, so it's a bit lighter than you see.

What does everyone do to keep these looking good? My convertible guy said, never use any product on it. It has the treatment it needs already. Don't touch the canvas and definitely don't touch the windows. Keep a microfiber towel across the window when you put it down, and keep it out as much as possible.

I'd like to keep the original treatment on there as long as possible, but it's just not going to stay forever. What do you guys do?

Mike
Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Nice toys

If there was a time compression in my life, my garage could look like yours, except the 190 had a "D" Grand seats!
My top repair, maintenance, and preservation are like you suggested. I keep the top vacuumed, and brush off animal hair, I flush the surfaces with clean water, and soft fabric dry the plastic Eisenglass.
When the top is stored there is a bath towel rolled placed in the window fold. Which is all most all of the time! However, the top is not placed up when the temp is cool let alone cold!
I have had tops last, still looking good for 20+ years, but I've had others mis-managed and need replacement in a few years. Thank God I have learned, and don't keep the top up while baking in the Kansas sun!
Good luck
Old 10-05-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2002 G500, 1961 190b, 2001 SL500 Sport
Originally Posted by SRHsl600
If there was a time compression in my life, my garage could look like yours, except the 190 had a "D" Grand seats!
My top repair, maintenance, and preservation are like you suggested. I keep the top vacuumed, and brush off animal hair, I flush the surfaces with clean water, and soft fabric dry the plastic Eisenglass.
When the top is stored there is a bath towel rolled placed in the window fold. Which is all most all of the time! However, the top is not placed up when the temp is cool let alone cold!
I have had tops last, still looking good for 20+ years, but I've had others mis-managed and need replacement in a few years. Thank God I have learned, and don't keep the top up while baking in the Kansas sun!
Good luck
Should I keep it up or down during the winter? Or up but not clamped?
Old 10-07-2017, 09:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My two cents, when. Owned a r129 I always stored the top for the winter with a towel across the fold, as already mentioned. The other thing I did religiously was use a marine product on the soft top, when applied correctly water would literally bead up and run off like a professional wax job. West marine . Com sells a canvas restorative product under their name as well as Star Brite these will both work well. I would mask off the glass and use a brush anywhere near the plastic, used the product three times over the 10 years I owned my 129 it always worked well.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Hard top on

A nice "top down" day can happen any time of the year, so the 600 has no top on and soft top stored.
When I'm lucky enough to get management's approval to take the sports cars on a drive or longer vehicle travel it is almost always with hard top! So the wench is used!
I'm lucky also to have conditioned air in the car barn, with a good mouser.
Almost all time top is off, soft top stored year round.
The wench is a mechanical device, and in no way is a referral to management.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 Mercedes 500SL
Smile Fantastic Top Care

I've been cleaning and protecting soft top for many different marquis over the past 40 years. It's a never ending search / research to find the ultimate in soft top care. I recently discovered the 303 products and think they are currently the best on the market. The fabric guard is the best for water repellant.

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-fabric-guard

From a top down day enthusiast!