SL/R129: 92-500SL annoying chime wont go off in cabin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
92-500SL annoying chime wont go off in cabin

1992 500SL
All break lights functioning well except for the middle trunk light which has never worked in the last 5-10 years
I removed the passenger airbag thinking the chime was behind that -- nothing behind there -
I opened up the center panel at the top of the dashboard where the security system is and the chime seems to be coming from in or behind that panel --
when the car is in gear and rolling in reverse or forward the chime starts pinging and wont stop --
also, in reverse the little yellow wheel lgiht by the speedo flickers that that monitors the wheels not rolling in sync -- that never used to come on either
-- the car never did any of this before putting it into storage -- a year ago
and the SRS light is on all the time now too, I'm wondering if the two are inter-related..
Old 11-03-2018, 06:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Not hearing the sound I think the top is not locked into the body. it happens whenever the soft or hard top has not fully completed the cycle. A top doesn't even need to be covering the drivers compartment.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Originally Posted by SRHsl600
Not hearing the sound I think the top is not locked into the body. it happens whenever the soft or hard top has not fully completed the cycle. A top doesn't even need to be covering the drivers compartment.
I tried releasing the top and relocking it down it , then the chime sound went away, but then the electric windows wouldnt work and the speedometer wasnt working - but it was because fuse number 6, I replaced the fuse and it brought the chime sound back and the electric windows were working again, but I didnt drive it to see if the speedometer had come back on as I had already jacked up the front end to take the front wheels off to check the ABS sensors -- and then it started raining and has continued to rain with cold blowing wind change and the rain isnt expected to stop until possibly tuesday for me to be able to get back to working on it .. the storage space i have where i live isnt big enough for me to work on this Benz beast indoors ..
..so I have to pull it out onto the driveway to work on it .. and now its gotten rained on 4 times, a 1992 500SL Arizona car that has never been in the rain or snow .. I dont think it likes the cold and rain, and is making its complaint known to me by refusing to be cooperative.

do you have a chart, list, or document that shows what each individual fuse goes to ?
I havent been able to find that info anywhere on line or on the forums, Pelican Parts Forum for MBs is asking for fuse information from MB owners if they have it .. I have the original owners manual but it is utterly useless when it comes to having real useful information for DIY owners, it keeps referring to "See your MB dealership" yeah right , drive 20 miles to get financially raped by the dealership -- been there , done that, no thanks.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
an additional noise generator relates to the seat back lock. If the seat back has been tipped forward but not returned to the proper position and latched the alarm sound will alert. It is not the same as seat belt not hooked up.Maybe the airbag removal may have started the signal too.
good luck