SL/R129: ASR problem guys. And I've done everything in the forum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes 300CE_24
ASR problem guys. And I've done everything in the forum

Hi guys

This is going to be a long post Bear with me and I hope some of u guys will be able to assist

I'm based in Malaysia. Purchased the car last year. Its a 95' SL500. Problem is with ASR since day one of purchase. What I was hoping to be my dream car is now a frustrating machine that I've spent a fortune on (including other non LHM related repairs)
​​
ASR light comes ON. Car goes to limp mode. What I have done so far

1) after meddling with the ETA I sliced the insulation opened and true enough it was crumbling. At that point The rpm was going yoyo as Victor's video. Sent my ETA to a local guy claiming he is able to repair. He screwed it up. Ended up buying a new rebuilt throttle Actuator from Beckmann Technologies. Car was okay for couple of weeks then bam! Same problem again. ASR & LHM

​​​2) Replaced brake switch

3) Inspected the wiring harness.. Looks really good Sliced open the harness running thru the injectors and the insulation looks brand new Probably replaced by the previous owner The bottom harness however looks pretty bad I saw this when replacing alternator

4) STAR diagnostic shows error :
ASR 030 : CAN No reception from EFP N4/1 or no reception from EFP EFP 048 : Set value potentiometer. Potentiometer monitoring M16/1r1 LH1 025 : camshaft timing Actuator 2 Y49/1 AB 019 : Airbag malfunction indicator lamp A1e15

5) Camshaft Actuator replaced. Error still there. Another error came up. Knock sensor fault

6) I figured if I shorted pin 1 & pin 6 it will solve the problem Wrong It limped too. My hypothesis is now that it limps not because of the ASR components (asr pump & module)

7) I'm ruling out ASR module because most post I read the problem was solved without replacing the module even tho the error did show up.

Could it be the ETA I purchased is faulty? How do I diagnose that? Next week I will be replacing the gear neutral switch. Read that it may be the cause too. Also, the throttle clip to the spring like mechanism (behind the engine) that goes to the ETA is broken. It is really loose. I have ordered and It will take 3 weeks to arrive Malaysia Just incase, I will replace that too.

Anyone reading this post If you have any idea please assist. I'm in dire need of help. Thanks in advance

Last edited by imagicaz; 01-31-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
You have a code showing no communication between the throttle and ASR controllers. I believe that is the cause of your Limp Mode condition.

Use the appropriate R129 diagnostic manual to troubleshoot the faults reported by Star Diagnosis. A main menu with links to the various manuals is here: http://manual.startekinfo.com/manual/JSP/model129.jsp.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R129 SL500 1994 - R129 SL600 1998 - 2007 Cayenne S
Replace or rebuilt the bottom harness too, also check if the MAF harness is good or not. An easy way to check it is to unplug it and see if there are substantial changes.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:41 PM

Mercedes 300CE_24
Originally Posted by Doohan
Replace or rebuilt the bottom harness too, also check if the MAF harness is good or not. An easy way to check it is to unplug it and see if there are substantial changes.
Looking to replace the bottom harness Hunting for the part correct number now. On another note last week I replaced the neutral safety switch. LHM still there. Intermittent.

Also my throttle linkage is broken. It was modified with some diy brackets by the previous owner. Just found a used unit. Will have it my hand sometime next week. The throttle cable plastic adjuster is broken too. Held together by cable tie (also by previous owner) Hunting for new throttle cable now. M119 is a rare sight in Malaysia. The govt annual road tax is based on the engine capacity. Found one online a company based in Latvia who has stock. Will order it this evening.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:52 PM

Mercedes 300CE_24
Originally Posted by bobterry99
You have a code showing no communication between the throttle and ASR controllers. I believe that is the cause of your Limp Mode condition.

Use the appropriate R129 diagnostic manual to troubleshoot the faults reported by Star Diagnosis. A main menu with links to the various manuals is here: http://manual.startekinfo.com/manual/JSP/model129.jsp.
Thanks Bob. The STAR diagnostic using PC is as detailed as the sequence counting tool or is the same? Problem with local indy is that they take the easy way out Replace what's shown in the star. I'm thinking of buying a counter for my self and learn up the method
Old 02-18-2019, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great link. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2019, 07:34 AM

Mercedes 300CE_24
Originally Posted by imagicaz
Hi guys

This is going to be a long post Bear with me and I hope some of u guys will be able to assist

I'm based in Malaysia. Purchased the car last year. Its a 95' SL500. Problem is with ASR since day one of purchase. What I was hoping to be my dream car is now a frustrating machine that I've spent a fortune on (including other non LHM related repairs)
​​
ASR light comes ON. Car goes to limp mode. What I have done so far

1) after meddling with the ETA I sliced the insulation opened and true enough it was crumbling. At that point The rpm was going yoyo as Victor's video. Sent my ETA to a local guy claiming he is able to repair. He screwed it up. Ended up buying a new rebuilt throttle Actuator from Beckmann Technologies. Car was okay for couple of weeks then bam! Same problem again. ASR & LHM

​​​2) Replaced brake switch

3) Inspected the wiring harness.. Looks really good Sliced open the harness running thru the injectors and the insulation looks brand new Probably replaced by the previous owner The bottom harness however looks pretty bad I saw this when replacing alternator

4) STAR diagnostic shows error :
ASR 030 : CAN No reception from EFP N4/1 or no reception from EFP EFP 048 : Set value potentiometer. Potentiometer monitoring M16/1r1 LH1 025 : camshaft timing Actuator 2 Y49/1 AB 019 : Airbag malfunction indicator lamp A1e15

5) Camshaft Actuator replaced. Error still there. Another error came up. Knock sensor fault

6) I figured if I shorted pin 1 & pin 6 it will solve the problem Wrong It limped too. My hypothesis is now that it limps not because of the ASR components (asr pump & module)

7) I'm ruling out ASR module because most post I read the problem was solved without replacing the module even tho the error did show up.

Could it be the ETA I purchased is faulty? How do I diagnose that? Next week I will be replacing the gear neutral switch. Read that it may be the cause too. Also, the throttle clip to the spring like mechanism (behind the engine) that goes to the ETA is broken. It is really loose. I have ordered and It will take 3 weeks to arrive Malaysia Just incase, I will replace that too.

Anyone reading this post If you have any idea please assist. I'm in dire need of help. Thanks in advance
UPDATE

ASR ECU module replaced. Still same error. Intermittent.

I manage to get a used throttle link. But I can't seem to find brand new throttle cable. Part number is 1293002530. If anyone can share a link to a website kindly share. Thanks
Old 05-04-2019, 02:23 AM

Mercedes 300CE_24
Have been driving for couple of weeks without LHM. I sprayed WD40 at all joints of the throttle linkage. That's it. I hope this thread will be helpful for new owners like myself who may face similar problems. The end (hopefully).
Old 10-16-2020, 12:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
94 S600 | 95 SL600 | 97 SL600
Hi imagicaz, I saw that you sprayed WD40 on the joints of your throttle linkage. Can you post photos of an example of the linkage you sprayed?