SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Door sensor on drivers door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL320
Door sensor on drivers door

The drivers door on an SL i purchased a month ago is having a problem with the door sensor, (so that the car can identify the drivers door has been opened). Problem is that when i open the door, and the lights are on, the car won't alert me. However, the passenger door is fine.

At first sight it appears to be the black button sensor, but i can't be sure. Can anyone guide me in the right direction please? Expensive to fix?

Thanks!

Faisal
Old 07-29-2004, 04:24 PM

1999 E430
Are you referring to the lights/key warning chime? The Passenger door is not part of that system. Can you clarify your problem.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM

SL320
thanks for the reply gpniceville, yes, the problem is with the lights warning chime.

When the passenger door is opened, i am alerted, when the driver's door is opened, no chime.

Also noticed the interior lights do not switch on when i open the driver door, but they do switch on when i open the passenger door.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:15 PM

Fais, I have the same problem and can't find the cause. Mercedes won't help me they just tell me to bring the car in and they will fix it. Ever gets your fixed?
Ron
Old 10-09-2004, 07:28 PM

SL320
Hi mate...

Problem was quite simple in the end... though if someone had charged me £200 i would have coughed up.

If, like me, the problem is only on one door, then check the black sensor on the inside of the door (push button). Pop that out, it is only clipped in, and check the wiring behind it, make sure nothing is loose and no wires have fallen behind the frame. If that makes no difference, it is worth replacing the black 'push button clip' (£5 or so).

I'm too handy with mechanics, but it was simple enough. If you can't, take it to the dealer, and get them to check that first before allowing them to look for 'electrical faults'.