SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Top/window problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercede SL500
Top/window problems

Hello, I'm a newby to MB forum and great info here but I have an issue to which I can't find an answer. I've read mucho and realize that there are 10 cylinders on the R129. Probably 3 to 5 years ago we developed a leak at the window area. Got it repaired but the vehicle (97 SL 500 I think 94 k miles now) probably has not been driven 1000 miles or less since repairs. From forum I now know that one or two cylinders repaired can cause others to go. With that being said, not like the first cylinders there has been no indication of leaking fluid. Last year after driving to FL, the top wouldn't latch. I looked up on Youtube and raised the top manually. Survived the trip since we trailered it back behind the RV. I haven't fooled with the car since Nov 2018 but when I did the windows went down...won't come up and light on the console flashing. Now being a hard headed DIY'r, I've tracked it down to the fact that it's out of hydraulic fluid (long search for the reservoir). Now with all of this being said...when/if I put fluid back in it, will everything start working? I realize there must be a leak somewhere or the fluid would be there. I'm hoping if it starts working I can find the leak. If anyone can advise if I'm thinking correctly on this or taking a different approach? BTW, before I tried all of the default methods of emergency window roll up with the remote. That worked in FL but I assume since it's completely out of fluid...nothing works. Looking for any recommendations. Thanks to all, Don
Old 07-04-2019, 10:09 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Because of what I understand and have experienced, many of your ideas are spot on. However, my experience has lead me to understand, when in doubt, replace all aspects of the system ( and for hydraulics Klaus of TopHydraulics does it all for about
$700 and just a few days!)
I will comment that fluid is primary but the controller brain is the core. bringing both into function is important. The cylinder leaks can be out of sight so you may not be seeing all the leaks! ( the front hydraulics can ruin white linen slacks in very short order! )
With a 97 your window function needs sync. both "worlds" have detailed explanations of all of the steps a DIY'er needs to take.
Good luck with the project!
The following users liked this post:
hughesdm77 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercede SL500
R129 window issue

Thank you for your response. I did get the fluid I ordered and filled up the reservoir. Windows worked properly and I saw what caused the problem ...my right rear cylinder is leaking. So now that's next. Again, thank you and everyone on the forum for the great advice and info. It saves lots of money and is relatively easy and honestly keeps the mechanic in me active.