SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: convertible top light flashes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 sl500
convertible top light flashes

I am a new R129 owner who found a near mint 2002 with only one issue( so far)

the convertible top switch flashes only with the soft top closed- not when it is open and not with the hardtop on.

had it at the dealer and they said bad limit switch , but is attached to the Cylinder and wouldn't replace one only all for $4,000.00, they also said they are slightly leaking.

So being a reasonable back yard mechanic for a too many decades , wondering is I can be steered in the right direction?

when I bought the car I was told the cylinders were recently rebuilt, but no paper work.

Also had fun installing a harbor freight hoist with a bunch of pulleys to remove the hard top - can know put top on in a few minutes on my own.

thank you
michael
Old 05-31-2019, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 SL320
I just got my car and my top doesn't work (didn't think it would when I bought it). So I am kinda deep into the learning process of the top cylinders. As far as if they were "rebuilt" before, sure could have been. Who did it and what did they use? At this point though, all that is academic.

I have seen top seal kits for $18 and some for $109 and then Top Hydraulics is $550 and up to rebuild a set. Everything I have learned about this says that unless you like tearing stuff apart and putting it back together often, Top Hydraulics for the "one and done" solution is what you want.

Now if it were me, I would take that guesstimate and toss it in the garbage can and start at square one. You sure could have one or more leakers. Getting to them all and checking them could be the better part of an afternoon of fun. :-) Top Hydraulics has a diagram on their website listing the locations of where to find each of the cylinders. Youtube has lots of videos showing how to get to some of the easier ones. I would go and look for leakers first. If you don't find any, then you are past what I know but possibly some controller issues.

Good luck !!!
Old 06-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Likely the lamp in the switch flashes because the controller is not receiving confirmation via limit switches that all of the latches are locked in position. If upon inspection you determine that they in fact are locked, then I would read the state of the limit switches either with a $300 Chinese-cloned Star Diagnosis kit or by checking them at the controller as explained here: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r12...l#post14710874.

If you have a leaking cylinder, then I would send it alone or perhaps it and its "sister" on the opposite side of the car to Top Hydraulics, or I would rebuild both myself using a seal kit from eBay. In regard to the kit, I would get the one with the proper seals instead of the cheap kit which is comprised of o-rings. The kit with the seals cost c. $100.